5.0 stock intake to Cobra swap Shopping List + questions

GTamas

Reaction score
I recently bought a cobra intake manifold and I'm planning to install it next winter, replacing the stock HO intake. I made a shopping list based on the Haynes manual. Anything else comes to your mind what I forgot? Any additional advice?

- Lower intake to heads bolts
- upper intake to to lower intake bolts
- end seals
- intake to heads gaskets
- upper to lower intake gasket
- throttle body to intake gasket
- EGR valve gasket
- gasket removal solvent (lacquer thinner, or acetone)
- gasket scraper
- electrically conductive sealant (for temp sensor)
- RTV
- new strut tower brace to fit higher intake (BBK?)

The torquing sequence for the lower intake for 5.0 is missing in the Haynes manual. Can you tell me the right sequence?

While researching the forum, I found this thread mentioning that some sealant has to be put on some upper intake bolts because it goes to a water jacket? It was not mentioned in the manual. Is it so? Can you tell me which bolts and what kind of sealant?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
to torque the intake down, start with the center bolts and work your way out to the ends. I have never talked to anyone that said to use either the rubber or cork china wall gaskets between the upper/lower on the ends and just but a good bead of RTV but they come in the gasket kit so it is up to you.

shovel

Reaction score
RTV on the china wall.

BBK strut brace clears the Cobra intake.

The front 2 bolts are real dang close to the water jacket - in fact be really careful removing them so if they're already compromised you don't break one off in your cylinder head and be prepared for that possibility anyway.

I used black (oil resistant) RTV around those bolts, not a lot I didn't want to fill the bottom of the bolt holes just form a barrier around the bolts where they enter the heads.

1712025239111.jpeg

dalpoas83

Reaction score
good stuff guys ,thanks. Now I need a strut tower brace also. Can’t believe I didn’t know about that bbk one.

shovel

Reaction score
Probably want to do an oil change and coolant change.. maybe even have an extra bit of clean oil to wash down bits of debris to the pan if you can't clean it from the top.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Isn't it going to be difficult to disassemble later, if it is RTVd? I think I read a thread on the forum where someone had problem with it.

It's not difficult, just needs a little extra cleanup time for the RTV.

I personally never do the full RTV china wall. I just do a dab of RTV at the corners (with the below gasket kit) and that's all. Have never had a problem this way.

I like the Fel Pro MS 95952 gaskets with the blue silicone ends. Matched up well with my ported Cobra intake's ports and my Trick Flow heads
1712066708596.png

(stock HO intake I would use the Fel Pro MS93334 gaskets)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the intakes stick together because of the rtv naturally but it only takes a light pull/yank up on the front and it breaks loose, once it is off the back is off as well. It is a common place for leaks to happen, the RTV prevents this and it is not a mess to clean up either.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's not difficult, just needs a little extra cleanup time for the RTV.

I personally never do the full RTV china wall. I just do a dab of RTV at the corners (with the below gasket kit) and that's all. Have never had a problem this way.

I like the Fel Pro MS 95952 gaskets with the blue silicone ends. Matched up well with my ported Cobra intake's ports and my Trick Flow heads
View attachment 33934

(stock HO intake I would use the Fel Pro MS93334 gaskets)
Consider yourself lucky , virtually everyone throws those china wall gaskets out . The amount of intakes I’ve had to remove and reseal for customers because of those gaskets is fairly high . The intakes weren’t installed by me previously .