1994 GT wheels: need your opinions!

anker

Reaction score
What wheels would you get for this 1994 GT? What would be the most aesthetic fit for a reasonable price? What measurements/color/style/brand?

Currently the car has 17 inch 3 spokes which were poorly painted by the previous owner. I'd definitely get something bigger and wider, preferably with low offset.

Not sure about the suspension. The car seems quite high at the moment, so I assume the suspension is stock. I'd prefer to avoid suspension adjustments and wheel spacing.

mustang01.png
mustang02.png

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What size tires are on there now? They look pretty narrow. Are you interested in offset or all 4 the same size? To accomplish “filling in that gap” in the wheel wells, I’d say you have to go to at least 18” wheels if not 20’s but your options get fewer and cost goes higher as you get into the 20” wheels.

Your goal gets compounded by the low profile tires and not lowering the suspension. You could run 18” wheels with a 50-series profile tire on back and 45’s up front.

Just some ideas for you to chew on…

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anker

Reaction score
wheels are generally determined by the budget.
Yes, it was clearly so by
What size tires are on there now? They look pretty narrow. Are you interested in offset or all 4 the same size? To accomplish “filling in that gap” in the wheel wells, I’d say you have to go to at least 18” wheels if not 20’s but your options get fewer and cost goes higher as you get into the 20” wheels.

Your goal gets compounded by the low profile tires and not lowering the suspension. You could run 18” wheels with a 50-series profile tire on back and 45’s up front.

Just some ideas for you to chew on…
At the moment the car has 225/45R17 och 235/45R17, which does not seem adequate to me. And the bad black paint looks much shabbier in reality than in those photos. Currently I am leaning towards something like Cobra R style deep dishes, even though they are quite pricey due to shipping overseas and customs fees here in Europe.

Another deal I am currently considering is 18x9/10 inch Work Meister S1, 25 mm offset, slightly larger centerbore, but it should be doable with proper hub rings. They look kind of JDM-ish, maybe. But I guess they won't look tasteless on an SN95 either?
1723311076998.png

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it was clearly so by

At the moment the car has 225/45R17 och 235/45R17, which does not seem adequate to me. And the bad black paint looks much shabbier in reality than in those photos. Currently I am leaning towards something like Cobra R style deep dishes, even though they are quite pricey due to shipping overseas and customs fees here in Europe.

Another deal I am currently considering is 18x9/10 inch Work Meister S1, 25 mm offset, slightly larger centerbore, but it should be doable with proper hub rings. They look kind of JDM-ish, maybe. But I guess they won't look tasteless on an SN95 either?
View attachment 36935
Those will look great IMO

gopanoz

Reaction score
Your current front left tire is installed backwards which is a big safety issue if in rain. If stock ride setup, stick with 17inch. Get 255/40 tires if revamping the stock wheels. Cleaning those aftermarket wheels is nightmare fuel. You have to use a very soft brush around each of those gold bolts to get the brake dust and junk out from around the edges against the chrome. You will need to remove white stickers because will likely clash with chrome/gold.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Car fo sho need mo low! Then just about any wheel would look good. Even the stock wheel would look better. The Work Meister S1 wheels pictured would look awesome!.....after mo low tho.

Another classic look is draglite fat and skinnys. They always look great with our cars.

OP
OP
A

anker

Reaction score
Your current front left tire is installed backwards which is a big safety issue if in rain. If stock ride setup, stick with 17inch. Get 255/40 tires if revamping the stock wheels. Cleaning those aftermarket wheels is nightmare fuel. You have to use a very soft brush around each of those gold bolts to get the brake dust and junk out from around the edges against the chrome. You will need to remove white stickers because will likely clash with chrome/gold.
Good points, thanks! Wasn't aware of any of this.

OP
OP
A

anker

Reaction score
Car fo sho need mo low! Then just about any wheel would look good. Even the stock wheel would look better. The Work Meister S1 wheels pictured would look awesome!.....after mo low tho.

Another classic look is draglite fat and skinnys. They always look great with our cars.
As a newbie Mustang owner without much technical knowledge, I don't dare yet to lower it. Maybe, if I find some good mechanic.

Draglite fats & skinnies definitely look cool, thanks for the suggestion!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Good mention about the gold bolts being a PITA to clean. Maybe the same wheel but NO bolts? I think if you’re going to leave the blue/white theme something kind of “chunky” and muscular like that wheel vs a flashy, “boy racer” wheel. If that makes sense. Doesn’t mix styles, is what I’m trying to get at.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
You're going to get a million different answers on this, just like if you asked what exhaust sounds the best. It's really a subjective thing.

At the moment the car has 225/45R17 och 235/45R17, which does not seem adequate to me.

That's because it's the incorrect size. The OEM tire size for your car is 245/45/17. The 94-95 Cobra came with 255/45/17 which is the tire size I prefer to run on my 17x8 wheels.

OP
OP
A

anker

Reaction score
You're going to get a million different answers on this, just like if you asked what exhaust sounds the best. It's really a subjective thing.
Yes, sure. But I am kind of a newbie who is afraid of making stupid aesthetic and technical choices. Often even subjective opinions seem helpful :)

Slice

Reaction score
I thought those 3 spoke wheels were 16 inch wheels? Here a pic of the stock 1996 GT 17" rims. I was gonna swap them out but they are flawless and they have grown on me so I'm keeping them.
FB_IMG_1720827209802.jpg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
cant go wrong with 03 cobra wheels

OP
OP
A

anker

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, everyone. After many aesthetic, technical and financial considerations I opted for those mentioned Work Meister replica wheels.

The tires are 255/45R18 front and 285/45R18, larger than usual maybe. There were no suspension adjustments compared to the first photos in this thread.

The car seems drivable, without rubbing issues, although the clearance in the front is maybe just 1-1.5 cm at full turn (at the narrowest spot towards the front bumper). Should I be worried?

Here's what the car looks like now. Not too weird?
m2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

anker

Reaction score
I thought those 3 spoke wheels were 16 inch wheels? Here a pic of the stock 1996 GT 17" rims. I was gonna swap them out but they are flawless and they have grown on me so I'm keeping them.
View attachment 37087
Looks nice, the rims fit both the color and the black-white graphics.
Those 3-spokes I have are 17 inch. Maybe they were made in different sizes.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, everyone. After many aesthetic, technical and financial considerations I opted for those mentioned Work Meister replica wheels.

The tires are 255/45R18 front and 285/45R18, larger than usual maybe. There were no suspension adjustments compared to the first photos in this thread.

The car seems drivable, without rubbing issues, although the clearance in the front is maybe just 1-1.5 cm at full turn (at the narrowest spot towards the front bumper). Should I be worried?

Here's what the car looks like now. Not too weird?
View attachment 37094
Not “weird” at all. Looks good++