1997 Convertible inner windscreen always dirty

khan.cross

Reaction score
I realy get fed up with my windscreen. I can clean it every 10 minutes, it gets dusty and grimy again and again. I most times drive with open top, very hot, around 110f outside temp.

Why is the glas getting dirty and dirty again and again?

07GtS197

Reaction score
What are you cleaning it with? Are you putting any sort of chemical on the dash? When the dash heats up it’ll start to release oils that get caught on the windshield. Its worse when there are chemicals on the dash.

OP
OP
khan.cross

khan.cross

Reaction score
What are you cleaning it with? Are you putting any sort of chemical on the dash? When the dash heats up it’ll start to release oils that get caught on the windshield. Its worse when there are chemicals on the dash.
Not a bad point but usually I whipe the dash and the glas only with good quality microfibre towels. But as the glas was so grimy, I had to use a cleaner to whipe it free. I can try to use simple glas cleaner next time, but I think, it will not make a big difference

92wastheyear

Reaction score
Not a bad point but usually I whipe the dash and the glas only with good quality microfibre towels. But as the glas was so grimy, I had to use a cleaner to whipe it free. I can try to use simple glas cleaner next time, but I think, it will not make a big difference
I read much the same thing about Armoral etc. The recommendation I saw said to use isopropyl alcohol on the glass first to get rid of the the residue and then use normal glass cleaner...and of course, fresh towels at every step

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’ve seen people use dawn dish soap on the windshield as well. It prevents the windshield from fogging up. It should help keep crap off of it.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you smoke? Cigarettes and cigars will leave a funky film coating on the inside of the windshield.

I don’t think ‘97 had cabin air filters but if they did (or one has been installed) maybe yours is in need of changing? Something like that could explain why it’s occurring so quickly.

Call me Chief

Reaction score
Try cleaning the inside of the glass with a Magic Eraser. It will get all the chemical crap off. Use white vinegar solution for the liquid. You might also try a synthetic clay like Griot's. They work nice on glass.

OP
OP
khan.cross

khan.cross

Reaction score
I have a new windshield but the old one did the same. I cleaned both hundred times but after couple of seconds same grime and dirt. I dont smoke, as I said, I drive the car mostly without roof. I can start with a fresh cleaned inner windshield and 10 minutes later I have to clean it again. I have to try different things like isopropol alcohol and ceramic coat

Slice

Reaction score
Try cleaning the inside of the glass with a Magic Eraser. It will get all the chemical crap off. Use white vinegar solution for the liquid. You might also try a synthetic clay like Griot's. They work nice on glass.
O GOD never use Magic Eraser on anything! It has micro particles (ground glass I think) and it will scratch the glass. It will wreck your paint too!

shovel

Reaction score
Ever smell anything sweet while driving? A leaking heater core will deposit grime all over the windshield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milford Mustang

Staff online