Aeromotive out; OE in??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
One of the smog check places I went to this time around wouldn’t take the car “because the fuel system was not stock” and I’d need an OE unit. The guy I’ve gone to past few times passed it but he’s old and may not be working much longer. He never noticed (or didn’t care about it?). So, in anticipation of getting busted for the Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator, my questions are:

1. Will a Ford or Ford Performance fuel pressure regulator be a direct swap and work like the Aeromotive does now?
2. Does Ford or Ford Performance even offer this for a ‘95 5.0?
3. Should I just paint the farker black so the RED of the Aeromotive isn’t so obvious and chance they don’t notice?!

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Better hope you don't get the same inspector if you try to hide it.

I doubt Ford would have OE parts over the counter anymore. You might need the resto sites instead, or the junkyard.

duh09

Legend
Reaction score

You should be able to grab one from a local store.

They're easily swappable, just depends on why the Aeromotive was installed. I'll be slapping one on my car when I get boosted, but if you're operating at stock fuel pressure, it shouldn't be a big deal to just swap them.

Swap stocker on, get inspected, slap the Aero back on and go. Or move lol

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

You should be able to grab one from a local store.

They're easily swappable, just depends on why the Aeromotive was installed. I'll be slapping one on my car when I get boosted, but if you're operating at stock fuel pressure, it shouldn't be a big deal to just swap them.

Swap stocker on, get inspected, slap the Aero back on and go. Or move lol
They installed Accel 24lb injectors when the motor was stroked. So….??

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
I still don't know how anyone can live under the Commiefornia oppression. Which sucks because it's such a good place otherwise. I've been to San Diego a couple times and I was reminded of Italy the whole time I was there.

weendoggy

Reaction score
The problem is, "if" the Aeromotive is adjustable, it WILL fail inspection. Stock or standard regulators do NOT have that function. You can put aftermarket regulators on that will pass emission testing, but has to be a stock unit, non-adjustable.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Reaching at straws here: but would a stock fuel pressure gauge from a lager displacement motor (closest to my 347) work? Fit?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I would rent a fuel pressure gauge and take a reading of the fuel pressure as it is now. Then swap the regulator to the stock unit and take another pressure reading.

That will tell you if they’ve adjusted pressure or this one was installed just as precaution. Engine size isn’t going to change anything regarding the regulator.

weendoggy

Reaction score
You're still under OBDI guidelines so they will test for check engine light and most likely do an idle and 2500rpm test. If it passes the visual (pressure gauge must be correct) and the "sniff" tests, it should pass. Then do what you have to. If it has a tune, you're lucky. With OBDII it most likely wouldn't pass at all.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Would this be a proper replacement if it comes down to it?
IMG_2422.png

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Or this one ?? (diff psi)
IMG_2423.png

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
That’s a good question. I’d hook up a gauge and see what the pressure reads with the engine running and vacuum line disconnected. Then match that

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
If you install the wrong pressure regulator, the tune will be off and you probably won’t pass your smog inspection

duh09

Legend
Reaction score
wouldn't a cobra version work?

To my knowledge, a 94/95 GT and 94/95 Cobra should be the same FPR. Only difference in fuel system I'm aware of is 19# injectors in the GT and 24# in the Cobra, but I'm all ears if I'm wrong there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nishanan

Members online