Water temp would be my first choice.
Yes, the OEM gauges are shit

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve decided to get rid of the air fuel ratio gauge and install the AutoMeter 2607 Z series mechanical water temp gauge instead. For me and my limited knowledge, I think it will be more useful and beneficial to have that information versus the air/fuel ratio. The gauge should be here Friday, so a nice lil’ Saturday morning project.

Are these difficult to install? I know I’ll obviously have to disconnect the negative battery cable and get some PermaTex high temp thread sealant (liquid, not tape). But, is there any other fittings, etc that I will need or is it all in the gauge kit? I want to have everything at the ready so I can bang it out in one shot.

Thanks everyone!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not certain, but I would guess it couples on to where the existing one is??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
couples? unless you got one that wires into the stock sender you can remove the one for the dash and put the new one in that spot as long as you do not mind the dash gauge showing 0. Otherwise you will need to add a spot and there are a couple of different ways depending on if you want to drill/tap.

Rons95GT

Not a new member
Reaction score
On the subject of wideband A/F gauges, what is the ideal range when cruising and ideal range when under boost?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
couples? unless you got one that wires into the stock sender you can remove the one for the dash and put the new one in that spot as long as you do not mind the dash gauge showing 0. Otherwise you will need to add a spot and there are a couple of different ways depending on if you want to drill/tap.
I have a different gauge panel than the stock one. I got it from Maximum95 when he parted his car out. Check out picture 1 in my July 17 post. So, I figured I would replace the AFR gauge with the water temp gauge and just leave the stock one in there doing nothing.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is it difficult or even possible to switch from the stock gauge (which I’m guessing is electric?) to a mechanical?

95opal

Reaction score
Is it difficult or even possible to switch from the stock gauge (which I’m guessing is electric?) to a mechanical?

Your new mechanical gauge will have its own temp probe that you will have to install. You can leave the stock gauge alone or take out it's sending unit. Whatever floats your boat.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m going to start a new thread specifically addressing the water temperature gauge installation…

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whiplash-Smile

Members online