Back to stock springs

zjred03

Reaction score
Mustang 2003 convertible was lowered by previous owner(s) with eibach springs (front's are 3555-001and rear's are 514.402). car sits about 27.5 from ground to top of front wheel well and 27.5 in rear. car also has classic design concepts side exhaust that has a skirt attacked to the rocker pinch joint area.

looks nice but not practical for me. the curved k member support scrapes as well as exhaust pipe where it enters the aluminum side exhaust end. car scrapes on speed bumps, my driveway and on many parking lot entrances. too low for me. I would kike to find stock springs or ones that raise car 1 inch over stock without use of spring spacer inserts. anyone know of good source with part numbers. will sell eibach if suitable stock spring can be acquired, thank you john

wmfateam

Reaction score
I have the stock 03 hard top springs if you want them. Not sure what the rate difference is.

OP
OP
Z

zjred03

Reaction score
I have the stock 03 hard top springs if you want them. Not sure what the rate difference is.
thank you. i need to check interchangeability of the coup and convertible springs. i can find moog front springs (stock height MOG-8594) but cannot find any rear stock height rear springs. strange no manufacturer of rear stock spring but plenty of lowering springs.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Difference in coupe/convertible springs is the rear spring. Convertibles have more weight in the rear (especially with top down) so the spring is a little longer to lift the rear. You can likely adjust for this using poly isolators in the rear (with rubber front) or even something like a weight jacker control arm

Before you go as far to change springs, check to see if you have isolators installed. The eibach pro-kit you have is known to have a mild drop, so a lot of guys will forgo the isolators to make the drop more aggressive.

If that’s the case, adding poly isolators may lift it up enough to make it driveable.

I have the same kit on my ‘00 GT convertible, and don’t scrap anywhere. In fact, they are repaving some roads near me and I just straddle the manholes and ride over them without fear or scraping my exhaust and k-member.

I have poly isolators front and rear. Same springs as yours. I realize the side skirts you have hang lower, but trying to give you a sense of ride height on poly isolators. I don’t scrap anywhere

IMG_9383.jpeg

OP
OP
Z

zjred03

Reaction score
thank you. I will check to see if isolators are in place. I looked at springs when i changed the brake rotors a week ago and did not see isolator but i did not know what to specifically to look for i thing i should be able to see isolator at top and bottom of spring when i look on Monday.

i plan on either using used stock spring or have some custom ones made with a 2 inch lift over stock.

i believe i will need 2 inches lift to be back close to stock height because my wheels are 18 inch and tires are 245/40/18 that combination is .4 inch lower than stock (just wheels and tires added together) then the eibach shocks lower 1.5 inch wheels/tires plus current shocks give about 2 inch lower. the the skirts are about .75 inch lower than stock side rail. if i add isolators then maybe i be able to not scrape. Also the k member brace support a convertible has is about 1 inch added to bottom of stock k member so now car is prone to scrape on speed bumps and driveways that meet the road at an angle.

your car looks very good

i have attached a picture of the side exhaust on the car.

thank you for help

Attachments

• IMG_6831.jpg
    IMG_6831.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6799.jpg
    IMG_6799.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 11

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I can definitely see how the side exhaust would make speed bumps a challenge. It looks great.

I recorded my ride height change back in an old thread so I went and searched it up. I measured from ground to center of wheel arch directly over the center cap of the wheel. (I assume highest point)

Stock w/245/45/17 (25.7” diameter) wheels

28.0” front
28.25” rear

After lowering on Eibach pro-kit. Same wheels. Poly isolators

27.0” front
27.5” rear

Last edited: