Ceramic coating d.i.y.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
I've been using the Adams products for a long time. I prefer to have all the products by 1 manufacturer. I think they work well together.

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
People always ask me why I have so many vehicles, since there's only 2 of you and my wife drives the Audi or SHO more. I always say because I like them all, they all serve a purpose and if you can afford it, buy it.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
When I do go to some car shows I enter a few of them
After shows people come up and ask if I'm selling
Nope no way not going to do it

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Back to the thread:
Can a ceramic trim coat be used on an older, 4-fold, hard “Bak-flip”brand truck bed cover? I did all around the edges (i.e., the overlay part that keeps the water out) and it seemed to improve the appearance. But the rest, which would require a good amount of the ceramic coating, is a much bigger job and a different material than the edging.

A good amount of morning dew, but you can see/tell the edges I’ve treated already by the beaded water.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
What material is it? I've used ceramic on hard plastic with good results. But that's after I used the ceratec coating. More of a maintainer option. You could always try it in an inconspicuous spot and see.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What material is it? I've used ceramic on hard plastic with good results. But that's after I used the ceratec coating. More of a maintainer option. You could always try it in an inconspicuous spot and see.
Not sure the material. I emailed Bak-Flip. Hopefully they’ll get back to me. But yes, definitely try it out on an inconspicuous area first. Thanks!

on edit: quick Google search returned this:
The BAKFlip MX4 tonneau cover is made from heavy-duty aluminum alloy materials, including corrosion-resistant panels and side rails. The aluminum construction is designed to resist cuts and slashes, and the panels automatically latch when the cover is partially or fully closed. The MX4 also has a matte black finish that provides scratch resistance and UV protection

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well I don't think it is anodized. You basically have to sand that stuff off and not with a high grit either as it is very durable and is formed on the top surface of the aluminum forming an oxide. It does not chip off like shown. I am afraid with as rough as the surface looks that any rub on/off wax you put on it is just going to collect in the low spots and leave it looking bad. I would probably stick to the spray on after you wash it myself

Bronco2Fan

Reaction score
Yeah, that looks like painted aluminum. I would guess it needs cleaned, sanded and repainted. You could always try a scotch brite pad instead of sanding to see if it cleans up good enough to paint. Safer than sanding.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think if it were me I would do either POR15 paint or bedliner if you do not want something to wax. I am not sure how either will hold up when it is folded up though, powder coating/anodizing would really be the best way but they are also the most expensive.

OP
OP
ju015dd

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Now if this relentless rain will ever let up for some prep and installation.....
1000003914.jpg

Last edited:

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think if it were me I would do either POR15 paint or bedliner if you do not want something to wax. I am not sure how either will hold up when it is folded up though, powder coating/anodizing would really be the best way but they are also the most expensive.
I bought a case (of 6 spray cans) of Rust-Oleum undercoating. After hitting it with a 3M pad and a thorough clean, do you think that would work or too blah to put topside?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Scrubbed the shit out of the bed cover. Taped it off and laid down 1st (light) coat of undercoating. Did a small square of it 1st and was happy with results, so went for the full spray. 2nd coat (and 3rd?) tomorrow

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redeye

Members online

No members online now.