Clutch chatter?

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Alright so after doing extensive reading and research I've come to the conclusion my clutch is too loose. My car as you all may know from my constant posts way back when is a 95 gt 5.0 vert with a t5 5 speed. Clutch and everything was replaced when i got it. It has always made a chatter sound at idle. And the car also likes to engage barely a centimeter off the floor, my guess is the cable is too loose, which causes the hop out of gear situation. Cause my transmission if I stomp the clutch practically shifts smoothly. Had an 82 s10 that had this problem, the clutch cable was WAAAAAYYY too long, which isn't the case in this situation, but had the same thing happen, clutch doesn't engage/ disengage fully. I don't think I have a problem with the tranny at all, my clutch feels like it's way too loose. I am aware that the throwout bearing is supposed to be in constant contact with the teeth at all times, little strange to me but hey! My question is, would you guys suspect the same thing? Kinda trying to get the car back in working order, and this is the last piece I need to make it a better daily. Should I put a spacer on the two nuts and tighten the clutch cable a bit more? What should I do? Kinda lost because I can't find much info on this subject. Or I'm just not looking hard enough. Either way, SCHOOL ME!

07GtS197

Reaction score
Do you have a firewall adjuster? The tob isn’t supposed to constantly ride the pressure plate. There is supposed to be a small air gap. If you can adjust the clutch so there is a small air gap and release around the middle of the pedal travel you’re golden.

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Do you have a firewall adjuster? The tob isn’t supposed to constantly ride the pressure plate. There is supposed to be a small air gap. If you can adjust the clutch so there is a small air gap and release around the middle of the pedal travel you’re golden.
I wish I did but I don't, do I loosen the nuts on the clutch cable that go to the clutch fork? How would I go about that?

07GtS197

Reaction score
I wish I did but I don't, do I loosen the nuts on the clutch cable that go to the clutch fork? How would I go about that?
If you have an adjustable cable then yes. I would skip that and buy a firewall adjuster. It’s easier to fine tune the clutch from the top than the clutch fork end.