CRAZY IDLE, NEED HELP ASAP

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Well what do you wanna do with the car? Upfront budget? And who is turning the wrench/what's those skill level?

The D3V
Well I want to have a nice street car with nice power that I can take to the strip often, it will be a project that gets bigger add ons as time goes by so I need a good base. And most of the wrench turning will be done by myself and help from friends. As for skill level, I would say i'm pretty handy with tools and if I don't know it I can figure it out. Just don't know all the little things or should I say not so basic things you would have to know like for example timing or checking clearances for instance.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Alright well I'm a big fan of the pi 5.4 .... most of the time they are cheaper then the 4.6 pi motors. If you want to go built a forged crank is half the price of a 4.6 forged crank. Its really nice to have power down low.

Now a nice screamin pi is fun to have too. Lots of parts and info out there.

A 5.3 LS swap a cool idea and they handle boost..... make great power..... as long as your not a purest its actually an affordable and logical swap

The D3V

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Alright well I'm a big fan of the pi 5.4 .... most of the time they are cheaper then the 4.6 pi motors. If you want to go built a forged crank is half the price of a 4.6 forged crank. Its really nice to have power down low.

Now a nice screamin pi is fun to have too. Lots of parts and info out there.

A 5.3 LS swap a cool idea and they handle boost..... make great power..... as long as your not a purest its actually an affordable and logical swap

The D3V
I really want to go with the 5.4 just to make my car somewhat different around in my area, but what do u pull one out of? Is there a specific year u want and all those types of questions? And yes I am a purest so a 5.3 is out of the question lol.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
5.3 LSx vs a 5.4L Modular isn't even in the same universe. One makes over 100 whp more than the other, is smaller, cheaper, WAY stronger internals and parts are next to nothing. Just saying. The whole "purist" thing... I can get where that is coming from but it makes 0 sense to me personally. The swap is so well documented these days and especially if you don't have to worry about OBDII testing its not hard. Even if you DO have to worry about OBDII testing you can change the VIN of your swap ECU with EFI Live to match your chassis when they scan it and turn off any DTCs that are present.

Now if we are just talking about a replacement motor to get you by... just get any old 4.6L PI out of a JY and drop that sucker right in. Swap over your accessories and whatever else if its not a whole assembly out of a Mustang. That would be THE cheapest and painless and 100% direct swap to get back on the road.

As far as crankshafts for the modulars, just find a good OEM Cobra crank for a 4.6 and run with that if you are going to build up a 4.6 motor. I picked up a whole Teksid block AND an OEM Cobra crank out of a 98 for $250. If I did go ahead with a modular build it would be Boss rods for $160, $500 set of MMR pistons and, $200 for machine work and $350 for studs and there is your cheap "built" modular 4.6L shortblock on the cheap good for 800hp which is more than I'd ever use on the street but that's me. And then you get into modular heads and cams... those are going to be $2100-$2500 for ported PI heads and good cams or $3300 for TFS with cams. So figure you are going to be into a modular longblock for $5k or so. And still make less power than a $500 LSx truck motor with a cam swap.

Personally, I am STRONGLY considering the 5.3L or a 6.0 LQ4 if I can find a LQ4 for cheap but a 5.3L is a proven beast of a motor and On3 has just released a Mustang/LSx turbo kit for $1750. Motor/cam/intake and a turbo kit for less than the price of a pair of TFS 2V heads and cams. No brainer and just using one of the options I am looking at as an example. I love Mustangs and all, I like the look, I like how easy they are to work on, that the Fox4 platform is nice and light and simple and I like the SN95 interior better than the F body. However, the motors are not in the same league as the Chevys.

""Puts on flame suit""

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
5.3 LSx vs a 5.4L Modular isn't even in the same universe. One makes over 100 whp more than the other, is smaller, cheaper, WAY stronger internals and parts are next to nothing. Just saying. The whole "purist" thing... I can get where that is coming from but it makes 0 sense to me personally. The swap is so well documented these days and especially if you don't have to worry about OBDII testing its not hard. Even if you DO have to worry about OBDII testing you can change the VIN of your swap ECU with EFI Live to match your chassis when they scan it and turn off any DTCs that are present.

Now if we are just talking about a replacement motor to get you by... just get any old 4.6L PI out of a JY and drop that sucker right in. Swap over your accessories and whatever else if its not a whole assembly out of a Mustang. That would be THE cheapest and painless and 100% direct swap to get back on the road.

As far as crankshafts for the modulars, just find a good OEM Cobra crank for a 4.6 and run with that if you are going to build up a 4.6 motor. I picked up a whole Teksid block AND an OEM Cobra crank out of a 98 for $250. If I did go ahead with a modular build it would be Boss rods for $160, $500 set of MMR pistons and, $200 for machine work and $350 for studs and there is your cheap "built" modular 4.6L shortblock on the cheap good for 800hp which is more than I'd ever use on the street but that's me. And then you get into modular heads and cams... those are going to be $2100-$2500 for ported PI heads and good cams or $3300 for TFS with cams. So figure you are going to be into a modular longblock for $5k or so. And still make less power than a $500 LSx truck motor with a cam swap.

Personally, I am STRONGLY considering the 5.3L or a 6.0 LQ4 if I can find a LQ4 for cheap but a 5.3L is a proven beast of a motor and On3 has just released a Mustang/LSx turbo kit for $1750. Motor/cam/intake and a turbo kit for less than the price of a pair of TFS 2V heads and cams. No brainer and just using one of the options I am looking at as an example. I love Mustangs and all, I like the look, I like how easy they are to work on, that the Fox4 platform is nice and light and simple and I like the SN95 interior better than the F body. However, the motors are not in the same league as the Chevys.

""Puts on flame suit""
lol ( MAN DID HE JUST TELL ME ), and I hear your point but lets get back to reality and just the right thing to do..... What about this 5.4 build? Skool me on that lol

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Well 04 should have 8thread spark plug holes. You may find some random forged cranks out there. Otherwise as long as its a PI motor its the same. ID go for lower mileage.

Search for other 5.4 swaps they go over the details about the intakes

The D3V

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Biggest hurdle with the 5.4L is that there is currently no really good 2V intake for it unless you use spacers and that can cause atomization issues with the injector spray pattern. You can swap to 4V and use plates to put the Coyote intake on a 5.4L 4V if you wanted...

Like I said I'd build a 4.6L if I was going to build a modular and roll with that. I'm sure others will chime in. Minus the intake issues, the 5.4L build is pretty much the same as the 4.6L build except you need custom headers if you want to go longtubes and there are a few other "gotchas".

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Biggest hurdle with the 5.4L is that there is currently no really good 2V intake for it unless you use spacers and that can cause atomization issues with the injector spray pattern. You can swap to 4V and use plates to put the Coyote intake on a 5.4L 4V if you wanted...

Like I said I'd build a 4.6L if I was going to build a modular and roll with that. I'm sure others will chime in. Minus the intake issues, the 5.4L build is pretty much the same as the 4.6L build except you need custom headers if you want to go longtubes and there are a few other "gotchas".

Hps hard baller intake is the intake....there is a waiting list for it......people use spacers with great sucess

The D3V

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
I'm starting to get the impression that going with either of these builds would be expensive and a headache, and that the best way to make more power and spend less doing it is just to either add a supercharger or turbo. What do you guys think about that route?

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
I'm starting to get the impression that going with either of these builds would be expensive and a headache, and that the best way to make more power and spend less doing it is just to either add a supercharger or turbo. What do you guys think about that route?

The stock motor can reliably take around 400/425 with a power adder. At any rate to make really good power with ANY mod motor you are going to need a power adder be it a 250 shot on a forged 5.4 making near 400rwhp NA or a built 4.6 2V running 24 psi through a turbo. And yes the most I have seen from a street/strip 5.4L 2V is right at 400whp and that was 11.5:1 and a lot of money invested. A $700 Junkyard LQ4 with a cam swap and a tune is going to make more power than that which is why I keep bringing up the LSx swap but it is very simple to just drop a power adder on a stock 4.6L 2V and make 400rwhp.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score

Cheapest route throw some new heads and find a centri blower....

Helicoil is just gonna keep biting until its gone

The D3V

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
The stock motor can reliably take around 400/425 with a power adder. At any rate to make really good power with ANY mod motor you are going to need a power adder be it a 250 shot on a forged 5.4 making near 400rwhp NA or a built 4.6 2V running 24 psi through a turbo. And yes the most I have seen from a street/strip 5.4L 2V is right at 400whp and that was 11.5:1 and a lot of money invested. A $700 Junkyard LQ4 with a cam swap and a tune is going to make more power than that which is why I keep bringing up the LSx swap but it is very simple to just drop a power adder on a stock 4.6L 2V and make 400rwhp.
Ok that sounds like the route I will take just adding a supercharger. So I won't have to do anything at all to the engine and it will be fine other than the supporting mods for the supercharger?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
I don't understand what you said about the helicoil

Its a bandaid..... if you plan on running boost replace the head. One of my lightning buddies launched a helicoil, coil pack, and plug turning his stock hood into a cowl hood Lol.

The D3V

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Ok that sounds like the route I will take just adding a supercharger. So I won't have to do anything at all to the engine and it will be fine other than the supporting mods for the supercharger?

To the engine itself not really. You will need to beef up the fuel system and your suspension though. If your trans is in good shape it should be fine at 400hp.

OP
OP
dirtyred11

dirtyred11

Reaction score
Its a bandaid..... if you plan on running boost replace the head. One of my lightning buddies launched a helicoil, coil pack, and plug turning his stock hood into a cowl hood Lol.

The D3V
lol O ok I got you now, no I don't want that to happen so I would definitely get some more heads and put some work into them to make sure there ready for the boost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online