Down on power

Booboo

Reaction score
I did a PI head swap on a NPI short block. The heads got new stainless steel +1mm valves, bronze guides, BTR springs, new OEM lash adjusters and new "GT supercar performance" followers, cams are XE262AH. After putting everything back together the engine is down on power. While tuning we see the expected amount of air going past the MAF but the engine is down on power and commending 30-40% less fuel than it should. So it appears it is leaking air somewhere. Compression test shows 185 on every cylider so the cams appear to be degreed correctly.

My thought is that the valve are either too tall or they were installed incorrectly. Not sure if this is even possible? When I got the heads back from the machine shop, I notice the valve stems looked funny because they stuck out more than I would have expected. I suspected maybe it was the new lash adjusters so I so I took them out and put in a set of old worn out ones. The old ones seem to have fixed the problem but at idle only. I think this backs up my theory that the valve are to tall and the valves are not closing properly. The lazy lash adjusters are allowing the valves to close at idle (low oil pressure) and when pumped up they hange the valves open. Is this possible? Any ideas?

07GtS197

Reaction score
If it’s commanding less fuel then it’s taking in less air. A vacuum leak would have the opposite effect so I doubt it’s that. Who is doing the tune?

I don’t think the valves are too tall. If that were the case you’d think either the valves would never close causing running issues and low compression or the lash adjusters would have too much preload, which would be evident when installed.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Engine sounds good, runs good, compression is good and all the sensors are buttoned up good ....you should be good. Yes the new intake valve could be "tall" only if your machinist didnt cut the seats correctly and didnt measure for correct location.....and by doing this the machinist would have discovered if the manufacturing of the valve was not correct, like the stem was much longer. If valves were manufactured correct and the machinist did cut the seat in a way that caused the valve stem to be to tall on the follower side would be an exaggerated amount. Its possible though, but dang he would suck as a machinist. Hopefully this is not the case.

Where are you horse power wise and what is your expectations? Give us a run down of of your build

OP
OP
B

Booboo

Reaction score
Where are you horse power wise and what is your expectations? Give us a run down of of your build
It is a stock NPI shortblock, PI heads as described in the first post, PI intake manifold, 75mm Accufab TB and plenum and headers. I am hoping for about 300 - 325 HP. It can be tuned good enough to drive and it seems to run pretty good. It is just down on power. Actually feel slower than prior to the PI swap. The tuner also says it should be using 30-40% more fuel.

highplace11

Reaction score
My 2cents says any machinist who installed +1 valves knows exactly what they are doing... And with good compression it out rules that in my opinion... Factory rotating assembly?!?... I'll be honest, not knowing who is tuning I'd be VERY interested looking at that tune data log... You have intentions to add boost with the oversized valves?!?... If you are factory ECU and CAMMED with valves, etc... It needs it for sure!!!... Factory stroke and displacement?!?... All factors, maybe the MAF isn't dialed in... Have you tried it with the stock tune?!?... Injectors?!?... Endless questions...

Just keep at it, I love the 2V platform....

Food for thought my friends... Keep us posted...

I sure wouldn't hesitate to contact Joe Goodnough with Goodnough tuning... He is X-VMP and NO JOKE!!!... Plus a great guy...

Later,

highplace11

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It could be as simple as the coolant temp sensor or any other sensor being off a bit from possible a dirty or loose harness, I have personally seen where it starts fine but once it heats up it then starts to drift. The time it happened to me the TPS had one broken clip on it, but the other side was good and it felt tight. Well it was cold but once things got hot and expanded then it would show 6% throttle while I was outside of the car

Miltoid

Reaction score
Check valve timing with a vacuum gauge. Rev engine in neutral, if vacuum goes down at increasing rpm, timing is retarded.