Engine grinding noise

brycelino

Reaction score
Hello all, My car has recently started to make this grinding noise about a week ago. I got the oil changed by take 5 a couple of days ago. they used 5w-20 mobile 1 high mileage. here is a LINK to youtube that shows the sound today.

OP
OP
B

brycelino

Reaction score
okay thanks for the insight. do you guys think it is still safe to drive ?

OP
OP
B

brycelino

Reaction score
i took it to a mechanic and they said that it is the idler pulley and the tensioner belt. should i replace these myself ? was quoted 400 seems like a lot. also does anyone know where i can buy the part ? and should i replace the serpentine belt as well.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes! I feel like as a non-mechanical owner, doing this repair is a good beginners start. Removing the belt and 3 bolt tensioner is an easy way to get your feet wet so to speak. Your tensioner is most likely ok, its the tensioners pulley bearing that is giving up. You may not even need to replace the tensioner itself, just replace the pulley bearing. By doing this youll save even more money. $400 is a bit steep.

If you examine the belt and see cracks on either side of the belt, it needs replacing.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
$36.00 for a new belt
$61.00 for tensioner that includes new pulley

Youll need some sockets and at least a 1/2" drive breaker bar or 1/2" drive ratchet to release the tensioner to remove the belt.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I also see the tensioner pulley itself has a replacement if you just want to swap only the pulley, saving more money

$30.00 tensioner pulley

Without me placing my hands on the car, its hard to say exactly what the noise is. Possibilities could be tensioner pulley bearing, idler pulley bearing, a combination of both....but if you remove the belt and hand spin either pulley, you can usually tell by the feel of the bearing if its bad or not. Normal smooth bearing will be linear and not sloppy feeling. A bad bearing will spin easy and feel sloppy and might make a noise.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
This is belt route diagram

Notice idler and tensioner. These will be the noisy candidates in question. Not a hard process to change out. Remove the belt, check pulleys by hand, replace accordingly

sddefault.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Great info up there!

Definitely do the repair yourself. It would have been a great learning experience if you would have troubleshot this yourself as well. There is not much damage you could do here, and you’d learn how it all functions.

Definitely replace the belt as well, it’s easy and it’ll already be off.

OP
OP
B

brycelino

Reaction score
appreciate the insight i just got done putting the parts on and on the test drive the check engine started blinking. it stopped blinking but it check engine still persists. i will say my check engine light has been on before changing parts but it has never blinked

OP
OP
B

brycelino

Reaction score
no, grinding noise is completely gone. got the code checked cylinder 6 is misfiring. are spark plugs difficult to change ?

95opal

Reaction score
no, grinding noise is completely gone. got the code checked cylinder 6 is misfiring. are spark plugs difficult to change ?

I would suspect a coil pack with a misfire not a spark plug.