Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
asshat.jpg

:angry7:

RichV

Reaction score
I personally have seen a car on fire, maybe twice in my life. That's on the side of the road, not mine. How about you guys?

It's a good thing to have either way, whether you're helping someone or yourself. I've probably seen the need for fire extinguishers more non-car related like fireworks, camp fire, smokers, etc.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be a first responder when I lived in Saint Joe before my stint in Ohio back in 2004. I responded to numerous vehicle fires. It happens. Usually it starts as something stupid like a cigarette that gets dropped, or an engine that's spontaneously combusted on a 90+ degree day. Shit happens. You want to know how many vehicle fires we responded to in which the owner had an extinguisher on board? ZERO. Could an extinguisher have helped in these situations? Maybe, maybe not... it certainly wouldn't have harmed anything to have one available and they certainly may have been able to save some of the cars that I seen roll away on a flat bed that had been burnt to a crisp.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
I would say I have seen 3-4 on the street. None mine. And I work at a track so I have seen quite a few on track and have seen a few bikes actually explode into flames during a crash..

Its interesting to put those cars and bikes out..

FrankenStang

Reaction score
After I read over your post a couple of times, I finally realized that you were talking about a fire axe and a defibrillator... sorry about that, I was having a hard time deciphering what you meant by "fire x" and "heart zap machine".

Wow, what was I thinking?! Who needs a fire extinguisher! Of course it would serve absolutely no purpose buying time while a fire erupts and somebody is pinned in their car... we need to just leave that to the professionals!!!

/sarcasm

We're not talking about extricating people from PI accidents, stabilizing them on back boards and acting as if we're first responders.... we're talking about extinguishing small or moderate sized fires that have the potential to develop into a larger issue or catastrophe. You clearly have no sense of reality and I really hope you're never involved in a serious accident or put in a situation where a fire extinguisher could have saved your life, or at least bought you some time.

if a fire extinguisher is going to save someones life in a car fire im willing to bet that just by geting out will do the same...no offense but those tiny car extinguishers arnt for sht and i have personally seen them FAIL on underhood fire at the track here in wisconsin and wtached someguy burn his hands trying to get his hood open to use one...best bet is to get out and away from a burning and not to play hero unless you know what you are doing.
If the fire is so bad to cause harm to a person a extinguisher WILL NOT HELP THEM, that effort to extinguish the flame should be used on removing passengers from the car...

FrankenStang

Reaction score
I would say I have seen 3-4 on the street. None mine. And I work at a track so I have seen quite a few on track and have seen a few bikes actually explode into flames during a crash..

Its interesting to put those cars and bikes out..

and since you work their and watched it be honest, do you think a car sized extinguisher would have helped 3/4 of those vehicles....?

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if a fire extinguisher is going to save someones life in a car fire im willing to bet that just by geting out will do the same...no offense but those tiny car extinguishers arnt for sht and i have personally seen them FAIL on underhood fire at the track here in wisconsin and wtached someguy burn his hands trying to get his hood open to use one...best bet is to get out and away from a burning and not to play hero unless you know what you are doing.
If the fire is so bad to cause harm to a person a extinguisher WILL NOT HELP THEM, that effort to extinguish the flame should be used on removing passengers from the car...

So... if you or your passenger drops a cigarette and a fire ignites inside of your car, you'd rather just shrug your shoulders and not even bother trying to extinguish it? You'd rather just sit there and watch your car burn to the frame because "those tiny extinguishers" wouldn't have been able to do shit?

You continue to grace us with your infinite wisdom... :angry7:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Wow.. No they are not made to put out large fires or fuel fires. The are made to prevent small fires from getting to that point. So other then you being immune to anything like that ever happening, what is reason NOT to get one? No no no no it will NEVER happen too you. Funny thing is 3 of the 4 cars I saw torched they looked like completely stock vehicles that would have had no reason to upgrade anything on them. Sedans ya know? Not put into the equation how many hands have been under a modified hood and its even more likely to happen.

If you don't need one because your perfect, well good for you. Can you send some of you magic this way I always wanted to walk on water....

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
Silly me.. Ive thought about making a fire suppression system out of 2 of those small extinguishers and metal brake lines. I have a 6pt roll cage. It seems logical to me to have a safety measure at any point. Piece of mind and logic go a further distance than being a ding bat with screws loose.

Sent by smoke signals

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
How about this - I never plan on crashing my car or getting hurt in it but even if I was not required to keep insurance on it, I would... I have learned the hard way how much an accident can cost out-of-pocket with a simple mistake. There are a few times in your life when you get the opportunity to save thousands(or a life
) while spending less then a hundred bucks. Take advantage of those times when you can...

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up 3 of these at $31 each and they include the metal vehicle mount:

$T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHDnpBRRnLD4iTg~~60_57.JPG

So for < $100, I am going to equip my car, my truck and the wife's car with an extinguisher.

Good thread.

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
and since you work their and watched it be honest, do you think a car sized extinguisher would have helped 3/4 of those vehicles....?

It is a different situation here than a car on the street that slowly starts to catch fire and isnt being raced around a track and in a stressful situation.

While in some instances yes one extinguisher is enough. There are plenty of times where no, one isnt enough. But it helps suppress the fire and contain it enough until more help can arrive. In those instances you are also talking where like I said, the bike literally bursts into flames when crashing, or the car has literally been on fire but couldnt be seen because it is still driving. Or the car is starting to catch fire and is still racing, so the stress causes the car to catch fire in an extreme way..

So if you are trying to compare driving on a track and driving on the street. That is an invalid point and not one to base a decision off of.

If i put an extinguisher in my car, I will have 2. A normal one and a coldfire one that you can literally spray someone in the face with it and it will not suffocate them. So in the instance I catch myself on fire... I can spray myself! WOO! Plus it works wonders on fires..

FrankenStang

Reaction score
i guess to be honest ive never really liked any of my cars so far enough...maby if i loved one enough id have an fire extinguisher in it..buuuuut i kinda hope my car burns to the ground..im shur once i get my stang and have it the way i want it i may have a bottle..

OxmanWI

Reaction score
I'm a fulltime firefighter, I've rolled up on three car fires in my short career. Two of which weren't even in this country and one in the Milwaukee South Shore community where I work. All of them could have been prevented by having a small extinguisher in the car. It's a preventive tool to stop more damage from developing. I would agree that if the fire gets out of hand where you do not have control to extinguish the fire then back off a safe distance from the car and wait for the FD. There are far more dangerous hazards then the fire burning you if the vehicle is fully engulfed. Anyways, I have three in my house, one in my garage and one in every car that I take on the road. If you can afford it, buy one and properly install one in your trunk. Don’t quote me, but there are some states that require a DMV inspection of the correct mounting and location for safety. Also make sure it's an ABC, so you can extinguish a gas fire as well.

Thanks,

Josh

FrankenStang

Reaction score
I'm a fulltime firefighter, I've rolled up on three car fires in my short career. Two of which weren't even is this country and one in the Milwaukee South Shore community where I work. All of them could have been prevented by having a small extinguisher in the car. It's a preventive tool to stop more damage from developing. I would agree that if the fire gets out of hand where you do not have control to extinguish the fire then back off a safe distance from the car and wait for the FD. There are far more dangerous hazards then the fire burning you if the vehicle is fully engulfed. Anyways, I have three in my house, one in my garage and one in every car that I take on the road. If you can afford it, buy one and properly install one in your trunk. Don’t quote me, but there are some states that require a DMV inspection of the correct mounting and location for safety. Also make sure it's an ABC, so you can extinguish a gas fire as well.

Thanks,

Josh
no use in having one for campfires in your trunk....

duh09

Legend
Reaction score
Some people's kids... :angry7:

Why would you even want to argue about adding a safety feature? Yeah, ok, you drive piece of crap Cougar that is worth about the same charred as in pristine condition, so you don't care if your's goes up in flames. COOL! But none of your argument against having a fire extinguisher makes sense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online

No members online now.