High idle

hoya

Reaction score
95 mustang cobra svt 5.0 need some input on the engine has high rpm installed a com CAM and AFR 1341 cylinder head's with 1.6 trick Flow full roller rockers double roller timing chain had to get a 1-1/2 inch spacer because the upper intake would not clear the valve covers I deleted the EGR when you start the engine it has a high idle around 2,000 and won't come down I did a lot of testing when you removed the IAC motor and cover it The engine will start but stall if you hod it at 700 RPM it runs perfect but stalls when you take your foot off the pedal it's driving me crazy and it stays in open loop and the O2 sensors are reading Lean any help would be appreciated thanks

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
get a cigar and do a smoke test to check for vac leaks. We have had some people finding leaks around their TPS recently for some reason.

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
Did that no vacuum leak found TPS Read's normal at.86 swipe test shows no breaks in the wave form replaced IAC still same issue but when you take the IAC off and tape the Hole's it will idle with your foot on the pedal

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
Can't find anywhere around where I live no one does mustangs only Honda, Toyota

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea it is getting harder and harder to find people that will do the 94/95 that is still obd1. You might have to look into a remote tuned chip. They are not the best but can they can help especially if you have an AFR gauge and can do some data logging for the tuner. Ted Jenkins on facebook does a lot of them now, the only other choice is to get a new aftermarket ecu.

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
Yeah but I think a new ECM will be the same as what is in it now just don't get why it you can control the idle with the IAC plug off just not making any sense

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if the car is set up perfectly it would idle with little to no opening on the IAC. On my holley I have it on my dash where I can see it and I am happy when it is less than %10. With the changes made to the motor but still running the original tune the IAC is still trying to work as though the engine was stock. Putting in a new ecu would allow you or your local tuner to make the adjustments needed.

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
That makes sense I was thinking about that but I thought the Old computer system really didn't work that way I'll check into a new ECM but there's no tuners around me that does mustangs for 95 great info thanks for your help

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if they do tuning there is a system that they will be familiar with. Holley is almost the go-to for most because of the quality and the way they back their dealers up but there are other cheaper options that they might be familiar with like megasquirt or others. Give them a call and ask them what systems they prefer or possibly only work with. If nothing else you can do like I did and after swapping out the ecu you can do remote tuning where you plug your laptop into the system, grant access to the laptop to a trusted tuner(we can name a few) and they can both tune the car and help to educate you a little while on the phone. With some datalogging and minor changes my tuner has had my car running great.

duh09

Legend
Reaction score
Your car needs a tune.

Where are you located?

A remote tune with a modern ECU or a email-order chip will likely be your only options if you aren't keen on trying to tune it yourself.

I'm running a Microsquirt on my car and had a buddy remote tune it. There are a few folks on here running a Holley setup. Handful of decent options out there now a days.

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
if they do tuning there is a system that they will be familiar with. Holley is almost the go-to for most because of the quality and the way they back their dealers up but there are other cheaper options that they might be familiar with like megasquirt or others. Give them a call and ask them what systems they prefer or possibly only work with. If nothing else you can do like I did and after swapping out the ecu you can do remote tuning where you plug your laptop into the system, grant access to the laptop to a trusted tuner(we can name a few) and they can both tune the car and help to educate you a little while on the phone. With some datalogging and minor changes my tuner has had my car running great.
Have you ever heard of the Chip that you install in the ECM and it's adjustable

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
Your car needs a tune.

Where are you located?

A remote tune with a modern ECU or a email-order chip will likely be your only options if you aren't keen on trying to tune it yourself.

I'm running a Microsquirt on my car and had a buddy remote tune it. There are a few folks on here running a Holley setup. Handful of decent options out there now a days.
Cleveland Ohio there are only one's that tune Honda Toyota Rice burners

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of the Chip that you install in the ECM and it's adjustable
depends on what you mean by adjustable. Yes changes can be made but it isn't something that you are going to be able to understand with a short read or be able to do on the fly. Almost anything can be adjusted on the chip but the chip needs to be removed from the ecu to put the adjustments on it. DO NOT LOOK AT BAMA I tried them and it was not what it was made out to be.

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
depends on what you mean by adjustable. Yes changes can be made but it isn't something that you are going to be able to understand with a short read or be able to do on the fly. Almost anything can be adjusted on the chip but the chip needs to be removed from the ecu to put the adjustments on it. DO NOT LOOK AT BAMA I tried them and it was not what it was made out to be.
I'm not going in that direction after reading up on it I made a restrictor plate and now it idles at 900-950 I know it's not a fix but after two weeks of pulling my hair out it idles but now it's running hot 215 Even with the fan's going on high I just can't win put it back on the scanner and CTS is reading 215 my drop to 208

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you did set the timing right? if not stop driving it, you need a tune.

Or you can always carb swap it but needless to say that is not the most popular decision and still takes a little bit of work now.

I would look up ted jenkins or one of the chip mail tuners(not bama)and see if he can help ya

OP
OP
H

hoya

Reaction score
you did set the timing right? if not stop driving it, you need a tune.

Or you can always carb swap it but needless to say that is not the most popular decision and still takes a little bit of work now.

I would look up ted jenkins or one of the chip mail tuners(not bama)and see if he can help ya
Ok thanks for your help I'll let you know my out come