I need a new exhaust system, any suggestions?

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Im just going to start by saying this, I need a new exhaust system that work for BBK SHORTY HEADERS. I am expecting a newborn this October and need something quieter, right now my setup is just straight pipes with flowmaster 40’s and a dump before the axle, for me its not super loud but definitely to loud for a newborn. Any suggestions on exhaust system that are a medium sound level and still keep that 4.6 rumble?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
congrats on the baby. What is the budget? Are you going to install them or is labor needed to be considered on top of that?

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
congrats on the baby. What is the budget? Are you going to install them or is labor needed to be considered on top of that?
Thank you, and I will be installing it myself, I am willing to spend about 1k-1.2k on everything from bolting to the headers all the way to the back of the car

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Could install a catted mid pipe? Cats will smooth out the flow some.

I get you want to protect your babies hearing, but my 4 grown up kids have no issues with hearing and they all endured my loudass cars as babies. Honestly.....it put them to sleep

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
Could install a catted mid pipe? Cats will smooth out the flow some.

I get you want to protect your babies hearing, but my 4 grown up kids have no issues with hearing and they all endured my loudass cars as babies. Honestly.....it put them to sleep
I would but ive been wanting to get a whole new exhaust system before the baby anyways, I used to be open headers and rigged some shit just to quiet it down and “pass” inspection. All i have right now is a down pipe from the headers then connected to that is a straight piece of pipe then mufflers to before the axle. Its absolutely horrible and ive honestly had it rip off on me sitting a bump on the highway, thankfully no one behind me it being night time and it doesnt sit up with the driveshaft thats why it got ripped off, essentially it sucks, hangs to low and i need something new anyways

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
we have had some members recently install dynomax mufflers and liked that they were quiet at idle, no drone while driving but if you get into it they still have a little volume. I have their side exhaust version and like them.

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
we have had some members recently install dynomax mufflers and liked that they were quiet at idle, no drone while driving but if you get into it they still have a little volume. I have their side exhaust version and like them.
My original plan was to get a BBK catted H-pipe and pair it with the spintech side exit kit but that would be like 2.5k which is insane. But id love to get some more information off you about your side exit kit, any pictures, videos? How much did it cost, where to get it etc.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My original plan was to get a BBK catted H-pipe and pair it with the spintech side exit kit but that would be like 2.5k which is insane. But id love to get some more information off you about your side exit kit, any pictures, videos? How much did it cost, where to get it etc.
The tips are the most expensive part and hardest to find. I have seen more than a few find a double tip 45 degrees slash cut that requires a little work to get it out of the opening but still looks good. I got mine geeze nearly 20 years ago now that I think about it and it was expensive then. After that you just have to worry about the lower skirt as they like to get caught on things. Ttocs388 is my IG and there are pics/vids on there. I installed some electronic cut outs that go across the intake/exhaust of the muffler so that when they are open it bypasses the muffler but still uses the same exhaust tip

OP
OP
thatsnninety5

thatsnninety5

Reaction score
The tips are the most expensive part and hardest to find. I have seen more than a few find a double tip 45 degrees slash cut that requires a little work to get it out of the opening but still looks good. I got mine geeze nearly 20 years ago now that I think about it and it was expensive then. After that you just have to worry about the lower skirt as they like to get caught on things. Ttocs388 is my IG and there are pics/vids on there. I installed some electronic cut outs that go across the intake/exhaust of the muffler so that when they are open it bypasses the muffler but still uses the same exhaust tip
Just took a look at your page and gave you a follow. Got to the post of under the car pics and the videos of it, it sounds and looks absolutely wonderful, so they by chance come in an h-pipe instead of the x-pipe? I had an x-pipe before but didnt like the sound to much on it, I like that deeper tone the h-pipes give it

joe65

Reaction score
shorty headers are just like stock manifolds basically in all the ways. An H pipe even with hi flow cats or an X pipe which i prefer and some borla mufflers with the 4.6s sounds really good. It all a matter of opinion of course.

Joeminnesota

Reaction score
I also have the BBK shorty's on my 4.6 2V and already had the X-pipe (H-pipes are nice as well, but already had the X for this car). I went to LMR and got the catted BBK mid-pipe to hook to my headers, running with X-pipe and through Flowmaster 40's. It sounds very nice - loud enough but not obnoxious. It's been a good route for me.

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
I've had shorty headers on two mustangs, my sn95 cobra and my 01 bullitt. both cars I noticed the sound came from more out of the back of the car than with the stock manifolds. was quieter in the cabin. the HP difference from stock is negligible but the sound difference, for me, was worth it. plus looked better in the engine compartment. I had JBA's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooters

Members online