Post A Pic Of Your Latest Purchase Thread...

ju015dd

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
anytime I see anyone putting something up like that I have to wonder if/when that big wind storm that comes through each year or so will turn it into a sail and send it into the neighbors. All the kits look to use thin metal and I know that one of the storms we have here would send it let alone the wind/dust storms out in phoenix.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
anytime I see anyone putting something up like that I have to wonder if/when that big wind storm that comes through each year or so will turn it into a sail and send it into the neighbors. All the kits look to use thin metal and I know that one of the storms we have here would send it let alone the wind/dust storms out in phoenix.
they also have heavy duty cable and hoops in them

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
i did order one of the type that has heavy duty hooks just to enclose one end of the awning
7x16 wall
that should stop some of the breezes we get

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
than one of those carports wont last ether
you would need a center block building metal in that type of weather sucks
that is what I was talking about the thin steel just has no weight to resist flying and if you do anchor it down well enough it is not strong enough to keep from bending.

r3dn3ck

Reaction score
Of course you all know I spend like a drug cartel on my pews and pew related things. My last case foam configuration wasn't nearly heavy enough so I decided to figure out a way to make it way twice as much... just kidding. I needed it to be able to store my rifle, ammo and accessories while I'm in Africa. The rules there are somewhat draconian and include spot inspections so it's important to be able to have everything in inspection ready order so the bribe encouragement needed to make the inspectors happy is not too onerous. It's also helpful to keep stuff locked up generally and there's only so many containers I want to fiddle with locking. I custom designed a foam configuration just for my extended stays on the dark continent.

The case foam configuration I use most in the States is single layer with room for weapon light heads, scope lens covers, 10x 5rd mags (5x .308/6XC, 5x .338WM/.338LM), 5x 10rd (3x .223Rem, 2x .308/6XC) and 3x 8rd mags (338WM/338LM), maintenance kit, bipod, night vision and a total of 5 barrels (4 in slots + 1 in the gun .223Rem, 6XC, .308Win, .338WM, .338LM), 20rds of spare .338LM ammo and my Desert Tech M2 with Steiner M7 4-28x56. All in with all the mags loaded it's a nipple or two over 100lbs. This is not a carry case. It's a "deployment" case meaning it's for transporting the thing a long way while enduring severe jolts. I also pack a soft case with me which has backpack straps and MOLLE attachments so it can connect to my plate carrier or act as a standalone backpack. The soft case supports 1 spare barrel, a spare suppressor, a handful of mags and not a lot more than that.
img_6359.jpg

My other case is a DT factory case with a foam layout more like this. It's a 3-barrel rig that tips the scales at around 70lbs IIRC. I don't use it much as it's optimized for a fairly limited set of use cases. 6 long mags, 6 short mags, 3 barrels, night vision, 2x bipods and some limited tools and weapon light heads.
casefoamdtcase.png

The new one, well, it's a different sort of thing altogether. I own a handful of suppressors in Africa which I can't even possess in Kommiefornia. The top layer supports the rifle, 1 .338LM 8rd mag and the soft case along with often needed things that I don't want to have to dig for like ammo, the rifle's maintenance kit, scope lens covers, weapon light heads and the bipod. The top layer has a plastic base and fabric pull-out handles but otherwise is similar to the red one being made of the same type of foam and having the red cover layer. A big difference in this one is the soft case forms the bulk of the top cover padding and this thing is going to weigh a monstrous amount.
screen-shot-2023-07-20-at-4.47.30-am.png
The bottom layer contains spare barrels, 20 mags (4x .338WM/338LM 8rd, 3x 308/6XC 10rd, 3x .223 10rd, 5x .338WM/338LM 5rd, 5x 308/6XC 5rd), my .223/.308/.338 cal suppressors with their assorted maintenance kits, additional bolts for .378", .473" and .532", bolt faces, additional butt spacers and such.
screen-shot-2023-07-20-at-4.48.01-am.png
All in with the hard case and soft case, all the mags loaded plus the ammo and the barrels and everything it'll tip the scales at around ~140lbs plus or minus 10lbs while having 1 barrel less than the other case since I can only bring a total of 4 barrels to Africa. Thank heaven the case has wheels. The foam only cost a bit over $260. It should be delivered in about 2 weeks. I'll need to work out more to be able to deal with this monster. The red one above is a bit of a struggle to get into my Cobra's back seat as it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruby Stang

Members online