Rear end drain plug stuck, could i fill it through the vent?

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Clean it with brake clean or acetone, take it to a shop and have them (carefully) weld a nut onto the plug but not to the housing. I think it'd be difficult for a weld to actually stick to that iron axle but you never know. Or weld a bolt to the plug and that might work better actually, the hex head facing out of course. That should stand it off enough for you to get a socket or wrench on it and twist it right off. It's probably a 3/8 npt plug. You can buy those anywhere online.
I actually went to a hex head for the next plug. I did find the matching threads on a gt350 forum and I actually had a plug in store. I was gonna see about freezing the old plug, smacking an oversized sacrificial hex head in there and backing it out like that. Or I'll just get my dad with a welder out to my place and have him weld it. I feel it'll be easier but I just wanted to see haha

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
I believe this is true, but, the OP already drained the oil and then found the stripped plug. So, all they need to do is replace the cover (that has a fill port) and then fill it.
I tried looking for one, that was one of my first ideas was to do that. Unfortunately 300$ is a little steep for my pocket book right now. All of those were custom made but summit may have something? I wasn't seeing anything though unfortunately

OP
OP
DarkknightGT

DarkknightGT

Reaction score
Why can't you just get another diff cover? Especially if you work at a parts store. Just asking.
Oreillys doesn't have as much aftermarket parts, we would have to special order it straight from the brand itself, not saying it's a bad thing, just a pain. Also didn't find any for the 7.5 differential unfortunately.