Steering Wheel Vibration - Can't Pinpoint It!

mountaineer83

Reaction score
I am having the hardest time figuring out why my 95 GT has a vibration in the steering wheel between 50-65 mph. I have new nittos all around, balanced the fronts twice within the last 2500 miles. New struts, springs, isolators, sway bar bushings, inner and outer tie-rods, and then an alignment.

I do have a slight leak on the left side of the rack and the car pulls to the right after the alignment. I am going to take it back to the shop that did it.

I didnt replace the lower ball joints and they seemed loose in hindsight when I replaced everything. Any chance ball joints could possibly be the culprit? Maybe the steering rack? Any and all suggestions are welcome as it is driving me insane having so many 55mph construction zones around me.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Anything that moves or is bushed is a potential culprit. Time to start using pry bars and manhandling wheels while unloaded (jacked off the ground). You will find it.

95opal

Reaction score
I am having the hardest time figuring out why my 95 GT has a vibration in the steering wheel between 50-65 mph. I have new nittos all around, balanced the fronts twice within the last 2500 miles. New struts, springs, isolators, sway bar bushings, inner and outer tie-rods, and then an alignment.

I do have a slight leak on the left side of the rack and the car pulls to the right after the alignment. I am going to take it back to the shop that did it.

I didnt replace the lower ball joints and they seemed loose in hindsight when I replaced everything. Any chance ball joints could possibly be the culprit? Maybe the steering rack? Any and all suggestions are welcome as it is driving me insane having so many 55mph construction zones around me.
If she's pulling to one side I'd really question the alignment. Did they give you the printout of the alignment? If your ball joints are toast an alignment won't help.

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
They did not give me a printout which i didn't think about until I left. I'm going to call and check about that. But I've been checking a few things out here and there as time permits. It had the vibration on the old tires too before I replaced them.

stigscousin

Reaction score
Former tire tech here- was the balancer the shop used a road force? Road force balancers use a pneumatic roller to measure tire “out of round”. Very well could be a new tire isnt perfectly round and causing your issue (yes it happens all the time)

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
Former tire tech here- was the balancer the shop used a road force? Road force balancers use a pneumatic roller to measure tire “out of round”. Very well could be a new tire isnt perfectly round and causing your issue (yes it happens all the time)
It was not to my knowledge. That was possibly going to be my next step before I try to replace anything else.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Had a similar vibration that was in the steering wheel, but I could also feel it in the shifter slightly as well.

I replaced the transmission mount and that was it. Car was smooth as glass up to 85MPH after that.

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
I am thinking about swapping the fronts to the rear to see if maybe it is a tire or bent rim. Then I'm going to get under it as time permits and starts checking all of the mounts and bushings. It's just these little things that drive you crazy!

OP
OP
M

mountaineer83

Reaction score
Pretty sure I have a bent rim now. I swapped the rears to the front and it went away. It did the same with the old tires, so chances are it's a rim. Unfortunately my tires are staggered so I can't just swap them.

Now to figure out the transmission issues!