Stockish muffler recommendations

GTamas

Reaction score
I had to replace my stock mufflers because they were leaking. I got AP Challenge "stock replacement" mufflers, but I hate how they sound. Theres a comparison video I made below.

Can you please recommend me mufflers which would have similar sound like the stock ones? Probably they have to be chambered because the stocks seem to be chambered. They shouldn't be much louder than the stocks and if possible no droning while cruising.

I don't want to change anything else in the stock exhaust system, only the mufflers.

shovel

Reaction score
I have flowmaster 44's on my 5.0 courtesy the previous owner and flowmaster 50's on my 3.8, the 50's are much quieter at cruise and less monotonous in general. 6 cylinders sound different from 8 in any case so it's not quite an even comparison

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I’d like to record my car with that “SPL cam” and compare.

As for what you’re looking for? You need basically an OEM reproduction muffler if you want an OEM-type sound. I’ll dig around the web for you.

@lwarrior1016

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Walker makes some stock type mufflers.
I was originally wanting to buy those, but one side was on backorder everywhere and I needed them quickly. But it seems to me those are also turbo mufflers.
I did not cut open the stock mufflers, but looking into the inlet and outlet holes, they seem to resemble a chambered muffler, rather than turbos.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
I have flowmaster 44's on my 5.0 courtesy the previous owner and flowmaster 50's on my 3.8, the 50's are much quieter at cruise and less monotonous in general. 6 cylinders sound different from 8 in any case so it's not quite an even comparison
Judging by youtube videos, the Delta 50s could be interesting, if they aren't too loud.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
You need basically an OEM reproduction muffler if you want an OEM-type sound. I’ll dig around the web for you.
Thanks. I didn't find any international vendor, but maybe I was looking not well enough. To ask someone to copy and reproduce it over here would be crazy expensive.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Oh man, that’s a tough one. Are you trying to keep it quiet as stock? Do you have decibal requirements that you have to meet?

The video is kind of tough, I mainly hear the fuel pump and can’t really tell much difference between the mufflers.

OP
OP
GTamas

GTamas

Reaction score
Oh man, that’s a tough one. Are you trying to keep it quiet as stock? Do you have decibal requirements that you have to meet?

The video is kind of tough, I mainly hear the fuel pump and can’t really tell much difference between the mufflers.
Ideally I'd like to keep stock volume and stock tone.
If it is difficult or too expensive, it could be a little bit louder than stock and keeping a similar tone.

Does anyone have Flowmaster Delta 50s on their Mustang? How loud are they compared to stock?
flowmaster 50's on my 3.8
Is that the standard 50 series or the delta 50?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Id imagine any turbo style muffler of equal size would be relatively stock quiet. I mean 99% of us step away from quiet stock in pursuit of horsepower and cool sound factor. I could not offer any useful info within this thread....my .02 worth

shovel

Reaction score
Is that the standard 50 series or the delta 50?

https://www.holley.com/products/discontinued_product/parts/17114

That's specifically what I have on the 3.8 that they advertise as "50 Series Delta Flow Performance Mufflers" - my amateur observation is based on their charts with cut-aways it looks like the inside of a 40 series delta with a built in resonator before the delta baffles.

Comparing the sound of 8 cylinders to 6 is an exercise in imagination regardless of which muffler, I can only suggest that compared to the Flowmaster 44's on my 5.0 the 50 Delta mufflers on my 3.8 are maybe half as loud on a rev and maybe 1/10th as loud on steady cruising.

I have only ever heard my own 5.0 with the 44 mufflers and it droned badly at low RPM under throttle (5th gear, 100kph kind of cruising) with the stock HO intake. It became much less of a drone with the Cobra intake, but still drones a little on steady cruising.

The 3.8 with the 50 series mufflers does not drone at all which may have something to do with the cylinder count, may have something to do with the even firing order (no sequential combustions from the same side of the v6), may have something to do with the midpipe (H vs X).. there are a lot of variables and I won't claim to be an expert here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickrey

Members online