Unpainted Tail Light Mod

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as we all have come to know and love, the SN95 has some sharp and interesting tail light designs. I am referring to the horizontal (5.0), and vertical (4.6) tail lights. This is likely a trait carried over from the 1987 and up GT’s, with their coloured louvered tail lights. What a lot of people don’t know, is that the painted part of the Foxbody GT tail lights are NOT a separate bezel like most people expect. The paint is sprayed onto the plastic lens directly. LMR has a good example on what an unpainted one would look like. They look good. The 5.0 SN95’s are the exact same story. The 4.6 SN95’s with the vertical tail lights received a separate bezel. Unpainted, the SN95 tail lights look amazing, yet nobody runs them unpainted. I put mine on today after modifying them and opened this thread to see if anyone else is running them unpainted, and do share photos if you are.IMG_6926.jpegIMG_6927.jpegIMG_6928.jpegIMG_6929.jpegIMG_6930.jpegIMG_6931.jpegIMG_6932.jpegHere are mine. I bought them from LMR and modified them slightly which I will get into shorty. You can do this with an already painted tail light, but it is a lot of effort. In the tail light, in a spot where it is covered by paint, is a piece of chrome tape. I assume it was put there to prevent bleed through on the painted parts of the tail light from bulb brightness. I removed that, as it is somewhat visible when unpainted, and can block some light. I used a wooden skewer to pick it off, and some adhesive remover to remove the residue left over. Each tail light took me about an hour. Installing them was also somewhat of a pain as the stud for the factory tail light ripped out, leaving a nut that didn’t want to budge. Difficult to explain, but just know that I never knew that a die grinder would ever be needed to install tail lights on any car. My only gripe about them now that they are complete and on the car, is that the reverse lights also light up a bit of red as well. This is greatly exaggerated in the photos though.IMG_6596.jpegIMG_5195.jpegIMG_4169.jpegHere are just a few examples of other cars running unpainted tail lights as well. There are more on the internet, as well as on LMR’s website. Feel free to search, and drop photos here if you are also running unpainted tail lights. Would be interesting to see them on other cars.

Last edited:

Ronnied

Reaction score
I like them for the most part but I also like the originality on the 94-95 painted. They look really good on the right car but no so much on my white one. I restored a set on my 95 and I will say it was a PITA.

BitchinCorolla

Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good. If I had those style taillights I’d consider removing the paint for sure.

OP
OP
T

Terrorist 5.0

Reaction score
Nice to see some love for the original, as well as this unorthodox style

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whiplash-Smile