Leak!?!

CrispCobra95

Reaction score
Okay, I have an exhaust leak I can't track down. Who has a good tip or experience finding the culprit? I don't have a lift and I don't feel comfortable getting underneath a running vehicle so I am leaning more towards taking it to a shop. With that said, who all knows a reputable shop on the north side of Indy? Carmel/Westfield/Noblesville area...

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going to take it to a shop, take it here: http://www.verityauto.com

Verity Auto
2909 East State Rd 32
Westfield, Indiana 46074
(317) 867-0461

Call and ask for Kevin. Tell him Charles, the cobra guy sent you.

OP
OP
CrispCobra95

CrispCobra95

Reaction score
That, or I'll just pull the trigger and replace the headers, gaskets, and bolts and hope for that to fix it... Anyone have trouble with the clamps on the O/R BBK x-pipes sealing?

If you're going to take it to a shop, take it here: http://www.verityauto.com

Verity Auto
2909 East State Rd 32
Westfield, Indiana 46074
(317) 867-0461

Call and ask for Kevin. Tell him Charles, the cobra guy sent you.

Thanx man! Quality work I assume.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
disconnect your fan, so it wont turn on, (electric plug on the back of it) then let it run, use a feather or a lighter, go around the header to head connection, and the collectors, watch for the flame to get blown out, or the feather to ruffle. the car doesnt have to be hot to do it, that cuts down on the possiblities of being burned.... haha

learned the above at a motorcycle shop... used it a lot.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Exhaust leaks suck lol. I'd kill for a lift to work on my car tho. Would make everything a lot easier

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, they do suck. I had an exhaust leak on my old V6 at the passenger side collector. No matter what I did or tried I could NOT get that bastard to go away.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I made some plugs for the exhaust and throttle body from 2" styrofoam so it fits tight inside the exhaust and TB.
Then put another hole inside one of the exhaust plugs (now it looks like a donut) so the shop vac could be connected to it.

Put the car on jack stands.
Plug everything up, connect the shopvac to blow.
Climb under the car and feel and listen for leaks.
Now you can take your time and not have to worry anout getting burned.
Note: the further you can get the shopvac the better. or atleast outside the garage door so it can be quieter.

mikey94gt

Reaction score
I made some plugs for the exhaust and throttle body from 2" styrofoam so it fits tight inside the exhaust and TB.
Then put another hole inside one of the exhaust plugs (now it looks like a donut) so the shop vac could be connected to it.

Note: the further you can get the shopvac the better. or atleast outside the garage door so it can be quieter.

kick ass..... im trying it on the next build.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
kick ass..... im trying it on the next build.

thanks. worked like a champ.
I'll get some pics tonight. I used a hole saw to cut the styrofoam to get a perfect circle. The problem was the foam was 2" thick and the hole saw was only 1" deep. Just make sure you drill your pilot hole all the way through the foam then cut the plug from the other side..

FrankenStang

Reaction score
ui was gonna say a half can of chemical B-12, aka knock off seafoam...it tends to make more smoke through the intake system than seafoam and helps find exhaust leaks, atleast helped me...plus it cleans while its at it...

OP
OP
CrispCobra95

CrispCobra95

Reaction score
If I had a lift I'd do the smoke leak test but something about getting underneath a running car on jack stands just doesn't appeal to me... haha

FrankenStang

Reaction score
just lay down and look under it from the drivers side while you reach in with ur right arm and hit the gas so you can rev it and make more smoke...lol when theres a will there is a way.

Steve-Oh

Legend
Reaction score

You forgot the disclaimer stating to thoroughly clean out your shop-vac and change the filter before attempting :thumbsup:

The OP clearly does not want to be crawling around under the car so it's best to just take it to a shop and have them diagnose it.

FrankenStang

Reaction score
^ if you got the money to send up in smoke then by all means..but it will take a lot more time effort and money to take it to a shop instead of just lay on the ground for a min and push the pedal with ur hand, sht can even do it at the autozone after you buy the seafoam, sht could even have the autozone guy or gal help you look for exhaust leaks..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevJon

Members online