1994 GT Build thread! (Better love story than Twilight)

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
Sorry its been awhile since i posted. But i have the motor stripped down and i am scrubbing the crap out of it with de-greaser so i can paint the block. I have FINALLY received my Anderson B31 cam and my new Mallory oil pump and screen. Plans are for next weekend to have the block painted and install all the new goodies. Now all i need are 1.6 Stud mounted rockers and hardened push rods and this motor is done and waiting for the body and paint work.

35li89t.jpg

357n4gk.jpg

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
My dad is flying in Wednesday night so i will start updating this thread once again. and hopefully a lot over this weekend. will be working on the car from Thursday-Monday. gonna weld up some rust and cleanup the bay. Gonna start putting the motor back together and hopefully back in the car. I will keep y'all posted!

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
OK, so here are the pictures of the rust/ body repair and the engine bay work while my dad was in town.

1z52kgj.jpg

Grinding away the paint and rust to weld in the plates.

v6oqwk.jpg

Making cardboard templates to make the fit perfect.

2zs7iu0.jpg

Winter time garage = Must have propane heater! But this was the workshop, nothing fancy but where the beast will come alive!

znpqmh.jpg

kinda Before...

efmef8.jpg

After. Looks SO much better!

2m6k8ax.jpg

Almost final engine bay. Just needs to get painted now and the hole cut for the CAI.

mws5ew.jpg

Patching up the endless rust hole on the strut tower. Had to use 16 gauge steel with another 24 gauge steel on top of it for some added support. Came out better than i expected.

aljccz.jpg

2e5tjc9.jpg

Had to patch up some rust spots in the floor and now its all set. (P.s. first time using a Tig welder, Dad taught me in about 15 min so don't hate on the welds.)

Also welded in subframe connectors and rear strut tower brace. Forgot to get some pictures of that but will definitely help with control!

NOW TIME FOR THE ENGINE WORK!!!

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
So finally been having some good weather here so more work has been done to the motor.

Pulled the water pump, timing cover, timing chain and now the distributor.
abmkp3.jpg

Then pulled the oil pan off and installed the new oil pump and filter. Cam and intake are also off at this point...
wcd0yv.jpg

NEW ANDERSON B31 CAM IS IN!!!! and with the new timing chain and gears. (sorry i couldnt take pictures with lube all over my hands)
o5e4oj.jpg

After A LOT of cleaning and scrubbing and scraping. Timing cover is back on.
10pu73s.jpg

Now starting to make some visual progress here. Put the water pump on and taped off for paint and put a coat of that ford blue on.
dy7zbs.jpg

And with even more cleaning and more scraping the new heads are on!!!! AFR 165cc heads torqued down with those ARP head bolts.
1z3q6a1.jpg

I also cleaned the oil pan and put that back on. And painted my balancer black that needs to go back on. I bought the wrong size push rod length checker tool. So when i get the new tool i will measure what length hardened pushrods i will need and start doing the valve clearance checks with my rockers. I cant wait! Its really coming together now!!!

2rm2hba.jpg

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
ok so i did a little mock-up...... hope you guys like it and i hope this keeps you guys subscribed. I'm getting really excited now!!!

2chqsgp.jpg

2q1udkp.jpg

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
Thanks, i was hoping the engine paint would have been darker so it would match more. but the valve covers are gonna be black and all the pulleys will be black. also gonna look for a black distributor cap so there isnt 3 different colors of blue under the hood. haha

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
This month the car will be running!!! I need to be out of my current place by the end of the month so i'm losing my garage so i cant slack off anymore. I have the hardened push rods on order so i can get the rockers on and check the valve clearance. while i wait for them to come in i will be swapping out the rear end and installing the rear suspension after work this week so i can hopefully get the engine done this weekend. I also have to sand and paint the engine bay before motor will be dropping in.

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
good looking car, I want that hood. the paint on that intake tho:notworthy:

Thanks, apparently the hood scoops are custom. i have never seen the fiberglass cobra hoods with the hood scoops in that spot. I got a killer deal on a ton of parts and just had to have the hood!

austinw88

Reaction score
Thanks, apparently the hood scoops are custom. i have never seen the fiberglass cobra hoods with the hood scoops in that spot. I got a killer deal on a ton of parts and just had to have the hood!

I figured that, I've never seen one like that either. glad you got a good deal on it.

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
More progress.....

Got the new #24 injectors in the new intake with the new o-rings and caps
1zwgnjs.jpg

BAY IS PAINTED and ready for the motor!!!
2navec8.jpg

Everything is almost all ready to come together now!!!

New rear end with 3.73 gears that needs to go in...
102v2i8.jpg

New world class T5 that needs to go in with the MGW short throw (amazing shifter)...
fp4kyf.jpg

And another look at the motor! :)
28l9zt4.jpg

And lastly the new wheels... had to take a picture they just looked so damn good! ;)
2j1o7kz.jpg

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
Phone died so I couldn't take any pictures during the process but I got the new rear end in there with my new coil over setup! Didn't put the wheels on the ground yet because i still need to put the engine and trans in this weekend.

dy82mf.jpg

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
Without further adue..... The heart transplant! :p

jhc668.jpg

k47e5j.jpg

2mgwduh.jpg

jfgmya.jpg

24xf7kp.jpg

Transmission will be tomorrow along with the top end of the motor! Thanks again for following the build everyone!

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Damn good progress! You've taken this car a long way from when you got it. I can't wait to see the finished product

OP
OP
Big_T

Big_T

Reaction score
So I got the rockers adjusted and when i went to put the stock valve covers on they didnt fit. Does anyone know if i need tall valve covers with comp cam's 1.6 stud mount rockers? I didnt think i did... :/

mkgnck.jpg

ih46q9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jd96gt

Members online

No members online now.