ABS Light on for 20 years, nobody knows what it is.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I worked as an electrical tech for many years and a physical inspection of the sensor MAY mean it is bad but it only takes a little resistance to build in a harness/connection to throw something off.

I have read some of the code readers work on them and some do not. I would try the paperclip method and see if it says anything since it also does not cost anything except a little bit of time.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I went down the rabbit hole this AM searching up info on the 1998 ABS system. More questions than answers.

Seems the 94-97 3-channel systems fall into the same "family" and 1999-2004 4-channel systems fall into another. 1998 is a one-year only setup. I searched up maybe 25 1998 model year ABS pumps on ebay, and all have 5 lines to them

1719581007366.png

2 lines on the top face closest to us are MC1 and MC2. The upper left is LF and the upper right is REAR. The single port to the front is not labeled, but logic would assume it's RF. This would signify it's a 3-channel ABS. I've looked at Cobra pumps and don't see any of them with a 6th port, so seems it's 3-channel.

I would look for an ABS test port under the hood. This pump looks difference from the 99+ units, so it's possible it uses the older test plug method of communication. So while nothing shows under ForScan in the module, it may be because this uses the older ABS test plug setup. I don't actually know, this particular system doesn't have much info out there on it.

OP
OP
N

ndcade0908

Reaction score
3 ports? One line out to each front brake and a single line to the rear? What's your build date on the door tag? Is this an early 1998?

The 3-channel ABS should have 5 brake lines connected to it. A 4-channel ABS will have 6.

Do you see an ABS test port under the hood like ttcos mentioned in post #8. Would have a red cover on it.

View attachment 36003

Essentially what I am getting at is that depending on which ABS system you have, there are different methods as to how to pull the codes. The older 3-channel style can use the paperclip or a specialized OBD2 code reader that can do Ford 90's ABS codes. The later 4-channel style was when ford started doing module based DTC's in which you can use forscan to read the module DTC's

It's touch to find info on the 1998 system and it appears to be a 1-year only system, with 94-97 3-channel units falling into one compatibility family, and the 99-04 units falling into another. QUite a few units on ebay

what you linked is a 98 pump, which has 5 line ports, as stated previously, I have a 97 car, which, as far as I can tell, has 3 line ports.

similar to this one.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would need to dig around but I think I have one with the only problem with it being that one of the ports was stripped out when it was cross threaded nice and tight. I think I just ordered a new one(this was a few years back) and put it in rather than mess with it but if they are that hard to come by and you can make it work we can try to figure it out. It is from my 94, let me see if I can remember where it is but I think I do.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Why did I go this entire thread thinking your car was a 1998.

In that case, with a 1997 you gotta use the paper clip method to trip the code abs code reading process. ForScan won’t read those abs codes.

My apologies. I was thinking you had a 1998.

OP
OP
N

ndcade0908

Reaction score
Why did I go this entire thread thinking your car was a 1998.

In that case, with a 1997 you gotta use the paper clip method to trip the code abs code reading process. ForScan won’t read those abs codes.

My apologies. I was thinking you had a 1998.
No worries, it's most likely because I had asked you if a 98 module would work on a 97 car. I'm going to try the paper clip method when I have the chance, hopefully this week, but the car is having some work done to the doors, so I do not have it at the moment. I will update the thread with my findings lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SomebodyFaceless

Members online

No members online now.