ABS Light on for 20 years, nobody knows what it is.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I worked as an electrical tech for many years and a physical inspection of the sensor MAY mean it is bad but it only takes a little resistance to build in a harness/connection to throw something off.

I have read some of the code readers work on them and some do not. I would try the paperclip method and see if it says anything since it also does not cost anything except a little bit of time.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I went down the rabbit hole this AM searching up info on the 1998 ABS system. More questions than answers.

Seems the 94-97 3-channel systems fall into the same "family" and 1999-2004 4-channel systems fall into another. 1998 is a one-year only setup. I searched up maybe 25 1998 model year ABS pumps on ebay, and all have 5 lines to them

1719581007366.png

2 lines on the top face closest to us are MC1 and MC2. The upper left is LF and the upper right is REAR. The single port to the front is not labeled, but logic would assume it's RF. This would signify it's a 3-channel ABS. I've looked at Cobra pumps and don't see any of them with a 6th port, so seems it's 3-channel.

I would look for an ABS test port under the hood. This pump looks difference from the 99+ units, so it's possible it uses the older test plug method of communication. So while nothing shows under ForScan in the module, it may be because this uses the older ABS test plug setup. I don't actually know, this particular system doesn't have much info out there on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy GT

Members online