afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up---(2021) - things got out of hand

US Soldier(stang 98)

Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up..(05/05/09)..little updates and some changes

keep up the work man it looks badass and i hope we all come home safe from Afghanistan. how much longer do you have. i have like three months left

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up..(05/05/09)..little updates and some changes

US Soldier(stang 98) said:
keep up the work man it looks badass and i hope we all come home safe from Afghanistan. how much longer do you have. i have like three months left

Thanks

I work here and will turn out the lights after you guys leave :wave:
Been here 3 years straight (with 2 weeks off ever 4-5 months of course)

Keep your head down and don't hate on contractors like they must teach at Shelby :book1:

US Soldier(stang 98)

Reaction score

what do you contract out over here? and were you at in Afghanistan?

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Got some updates for you fellas, not many but updates none the less. I got back into the states weeks ago and spent all my time moving into a new house and getting it set up for the wife and I. My favorite part of the house is the garage (go figure). 3 car 26' deep by 35' wide. I had to make sure that it was just right before I started working on the car. With that said we insullated the crap out of the garage doors to keep the Texas heat at bay. Next I installed a 2 ton ductless split unit A/C system. Set on 74* the garage stays cool all day long, chilly actually. I also installed six 4' double bulb flouresent light fixtures so I would have plenty of electric sunshine. I even built a work bench that is strong enough to set the entire car on top of. This thing is a beast.
teaser pic of the money pit's new money pit :joy::joy:
DSC01757.jpg

On to the car. I put in 3 hours yesterday and was very happy with my progress. I went from.

DSC01772.jpg

to
DSC01785.jpg

I will have some more pics shortly as I get some more work done today.

Most of the work that I am going to be doing is all test fit for fabrication then coating. The car will not run when I leave in a few days but I knew that going into the car yesterday. Time is just to short. But I will get the turbo headers and cross over in, the EPM dropped in and may attempt to wire it up. I would like to find a place to mount the coils but really need the intake elbow and fox t/b to do that and those two very important peices are not in my inventory yet. I need to get the intercooler in and mounted so I can figure out what to do with the coolant overflow tank.

some more updates.
The BG headers fit great a few snags were easy to overcome. The ABS unit came out and will not go back in. The a/c line on the pass side had to be bent a little to clear the turbo and I still need to wrap the lines that run next to the header. But this is a dry run before coating to check for fit.

DSC01823.jpg

DSC01833.jpg

Clears the frame rail with no grinding, figures I already bought a grinder just for that. lol

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

The turbo is in and only required to be clocked to get it to fit and a trip to the parts store for some bolts.
DSC01848.jpg

DSC01849.jpg

I got the manifold dressed out and figured out the heating hose ordeal. I am insisting on a heater so the rear bosses are getting drilled out and a -8an weld bung. I am also going to remove the water pump and heater core welding fittings to them too.
DSC01805.jpg

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up..(09/21/09)..little updates and some changes

Neato man. :grin:

DSTRBD

Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up..(09/21/09)..little updates and some changes

:angry4: Nice...

5.0kid

Reaction score

wow, very nice looking so far!

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

here is the post on the actual install of the turbo and headers. It gives more of the high and low points but beware it may double tap some from my other post yesterday.

So pulled the accessory drive items off the front of the motor to get the headers in. The passenger side called for removing the ABS pump but no big deal. The headers slipped right in and the turbo flange clears the frame rails. All the bolts threaded right in and are accessilbe with a socket and extensions or a wrench.

I snaked the driverside header in and it cleared the a/c lines at the back of the compressor with a small air gap. I do neet to reroute my p/s return hose a little though. Only one header bolt is going to be a bugger come time to install for good but the rest were just like the pass side, easy.

I thought all was great until I tried to connect the cross over pipe and found I was 1/2" short. I started to look for the reason and discovered that the lower portion of the headers were not clearing the AFR 185 head's deck. I am okay with that because the headers and the rest of the parts are coming off again for coating anyways. Just a dry run here.

On to mounting the turbo.....lining up the drain flange I discovered that the hole in the flange is 5/16" hole for a 3/8" bolt for the turbo. No problem it is aluminum and drills easy enough. Problem was my vise is across town at the other house, problem solved with a combination of clamps.

After mounting the flange I test fit the turbo and clocked it to what if I think is right until I install/build the cold side. The turbo is a little close to the alternator but when I grind the headers down and as they seat closer to the head it will give up some more room. The turbo blanket does fit though.

I did not get to the 3.5" DP install because I still need to DP cut and a V-Band flange installed to make future removal for plug changes easier. Without the DP in so far installing plugs was a breeze even though I installed number 8 from under the car.

As far as air filter, well not sure where the hell one is going to fit. The cold side and intercooler will have to wait for another day. I am still contemplating a driverside t/b but need to figure a way around the a/c lines over there.

pics of the work done so far

My starting point
DSC01771.jpg

DSC01823.jpg

ABS pump is clearly in the way so out it comes for good
DSC01821.jpg

pass header in
DSC01833.jpg

what I thought was great clearance, it will change when I get the headers to seat fully against the cyl head.
DSC01834.jpg

Driverside, I need to sort out the p/s hose and also the clutch cable
DSC01839.jpg

No need to modify the lower radiator hose, already have a -16an for the upper and lower.
DSC01840.jpg

Houston we have a problem.......pass side, I am sure the driverside is the same.
DSC01851.jpg

Also need some longer ARP 3/8" header bolts the 3/4" length of the ones that I have just is not going to cut it once a washer goes on.

We have TURBO, that is a Precission 76GTS with .96ar
DSC01868.jpg

A couple teaser pics
DSC01866.jpg

DSC01872.jpg

How she sits
DSC01880.jpg

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score

Great work!! SO is there anyway, to keep the ABS pump?

95PGTTech

Reaction score

relocate it and bend new lines.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

95PGTTech said:
relocate it and bend new lines.

you are right sir, I have to see how my cold side it going to be routed first but I am going to get a delete block just in case.

NXcoupe

Reaction score

Wow Bob, you are doing great work! I haven't talked to you in a while. I am back over here in the sandbox again. I got some stuff done on my cars while I was home, but not nearly enough. I have progress going on them while I am over here, like you, I puruse the classifieds and websites on my off time to kill the time!
Great car, sweet project, making me think twice about a turbo kit tho. Nothing seems to fit or go in right on kits. You are doing a great job, can't wait to see it finished. How much are you selling those crossmembers for the T56's for?

hemiassasin

Reaction score

Nice!!!!

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

NXcoupe said:
Wow Bob, you are doing great work! I haven't talked to you in a while. I am back over here in the sandbox again. I got some stuff done on my cars while I was home, but not nearly enough. I have progress going on them while I am over here, like you, I puruse the classifieds and websites on my off time to kill the time!
Great car, sweet project, making me think twice about a turbo kit tho. Nothing seems to fit or go in right on kits. You are doing a great job, can't wait to see it finished. How much are you selling those crossmembers for the T56's for?

I would be ashamed to tell you how much that damn cross member cost me when it was all said and done. Way too much!!

I am back in BAF for a couple of days and then off to Dubai then Iraq to continue my job overseas. It was either Iraq or home in the unemployment lines. I am not ready to be one of the 10% just yet.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Alright guys it is time for a massive update. It has been a while since I was on here so here you go. Enjoy

This post will serve as a running post dating back to around Feb/March. I just joined all my updates off the corral and combined them here for you.

I haven't updated my other thread or this one with this yet. I finally got one of my main ECU and Injector harnesses in the mail. I filled two 5gallon trash bags with the damn loom I stripped off.

I went thru and removed a ton of unused stuff. For instance before the COP and EPM get wired in the 60pin is down to 34. That was a ton of fun with only a couple map pins and a leatherman.

I ended up pulling the trans harness section and the injector harness section of the ECU harness thru the firewall plug. My intent is to run it thru a hole above the trans tunnel when I pull the dash.

I purchased a metric ton of damn Duetsch plugs (4x12pin, 2x6pin, 2x4pin, 2x3pin, 2x2pin) I am planning on doing away with the big bulky factory 40pin and trans plugs. Besides Duetsch plugs are so much nicer and easier to work with.

Most of the factory colors are the same as what is in the ECU/Injector harness. The add ins for the COP are user discretion of course. An example of how they trace: The #1 Injector wire from pin location 58 is tan and remains tan all the way thru the 40+ pin up to the injector. This holds true for 99% of the harnesses in the car.

I am still working on a few pin locations for some add ins and will update this post when I get them.

Unit 60+PIN Guage and Color Code
Coil 1................48............White
Coil 6................48.............White
Coil 2................28.............Tan
Coil 8................28.............Tan
Coil 3................23.............Gray
Coil 5................23.............Gray
Coil 4................24.............Yellow
Coil 7................24.............Yellow
Inj Power ..........37..............Red
Inj 1................58..............Tan
Inj 2................59..............White
Inj 3................39..............Brown w/ Yellow
Inj 4................35..............Brown w/ Light Blue
Inj 5................15..............Tan w/ Black
Inj 6................12...............Lt Green w/ Orange
Inj 7................13..............Tan w/ Red
Inj 8................14..............Lt Blue
IAT.................25..............Grey
IAT Pwr...........46..............Grey w/ Red
ECT..................7..............Lt. Green w/ Red
ECT Pwr..........46..............Grey w/ Red
TPS................47..............Grey w/ White
TPS................26..............Brown w/ White
TPS Pwr..........46..............Grey w/ Red
IAC................21..............White w/ Lt. Blue
IAC Pwr..........46..............Grey w/ Red
Oil PSI........................Dash harness...........White w/ Red
Water Temp................Dash harness............Red w/ White
Coils Pwr........37??............Red
Coils Gnd........16??............Black
EPM / PIP.......56...............Orange
EPM...............66..............Lt. Green
EPM Pwr.........37??...........Red
EPM Ground....16??............Black
MAP
MAP
Fuel PSI
Fuel PSI
Boost
Boost
Wideband
Wideband
PWR GND...........60............Black w/ White
VPWR...............57.............Red
LFC..................55.............DK Blue
WAC.................54............Pink w/ Yellow
AC/PS...............42............Pink w/ Lt Blue
??TCS??.........??41?...........Tan w/ White
PWR GND..........40 .............Black w/ White
HFC.................32 .............Lt Green w/ Purple
MLPS...............30.............Lt Blue w/ Yellow
FP..................22..............Lt Blue w/ Orange
C SE GRND.......20..............Black
STO/MIL..........17..............Pink w/ Lt Green
AC CS.............10..............Dk Green w/ Orange
FPM.................8..............Dk Green w/ Yellow
VSS.................6..............Pink w/ Orange
TSS.................5..............Dk Green w/ White
VSS+...............3..............Grey w/ Black
BOO.................2..............Lt Green
KAPWR.............1..............Yellow

As for the injector harness. Well the one that I received is pretty beat up. It has suffered a lot of heat damage and brittle wires. So I ordered up 40 different colors of wires to build my own from scratch. It should be an easy enough task. I am going to use the old one as a template and reuse all the plugs, they are in good shape except a few that I can replace. Since I am using Duetsch 12 pins for this it will be even easier to put the wires in bundles of like component. For instance 8 injector wires + 12V+ power can all get bussed in the same 12 pack away from TPS, IAC, IAT, ECT and so on.

Now if my damn loom and shrink wrap would show up I can get started on that step of the ECU harness.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Here is the harness before.

DSC02113.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

Here are some afters. I found a few issues that need to get addressed but they are nothing for as far as I have come. This dude is getting swapped for cleaner and smaller Duetsch plugs.
DSC02123.jpg

DSC02130.jpg

Look at all that room in that thru wall plug now :joy:
DSC02127.jpg

DSC02129.jpg

Some splices needed to join a few wires and some wires need to be shored up some. The red wire that works around the thru wall plug will need to get remade to match the new location of the injector harness plug.
DSC02125.jpg

The joys of buying used harnesses. My guess is a pulley did that.
DSC02131.jpg

Don't toss or cut any thing. Simply unpin and safe. I had to go back to the bags of extra to find two wires that should not have come out of the 60.
DSC02132.jpg

Take notes, lots of notes. Take lots of photos for reference. I have a few wires that I unpinned without paying attention and now need to cross reference the harness with another one to ensure it's integrity.
DSC02133.jpg

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Update: 05Mar10

I have been out of the office and away from my toys for a couple of weeks. So yesterday and today I spent my down time plugging away at the harness. I got a lot done given the fact that I am still waiting on my rjminjection and my cabletiesandmore orders. I am also lacking a good soldering iron and supplies.

EFI Connection came thru
DSC02295.jpg

Summitt came thru
DSC02290.jpg

I started by making 3 new 12 pin connectors to replace the factory 40 pin for the injection harness.
DSC02301.jpg

DSC02307.jpg

DSC02303.jpg

I still may need to add another 6 pin for gauges though. No problem since I have tons of Duetsch connectors and another 12 pin if I need.

Even replaced the manual trans harness with a 6 pin. I will do the trans side once I get home and get the old one off the car.
DSC02298.jpg

All the Duetsch connectors are going to exit in the trans tunnel. I really am looking forward to getting this mess gone.
DSC00617.jpg

I needed to run "from the ECU, 12v+" to the new EPM, Coils (right and left bank), and the injectors. I didn't want a bunch of splices and I wanted it modular. Here was my solution.
DSC02299.jpg

DSC02300.jpg

DSC02306.jpg

Man I am going to have a fit if I am a few inches short. I left the component ends blank and plenty of excess wire just in case though.
DSC02304.jpg

Enjoy I hope it gives you guys some ideas.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

16 April 2010

Here is a small update. I should be able to get plenty of work in tomorrow.

I needed to put the car out of the garage for the night to get some organizing done. The jack stands had cob webs from the concrete to the subframes. lol
DSC02397.jpg

you have to look hard but you can see

ABS delete manifold is in
DSC02403.jpg

DSC02409.jpg

I am trying to pull off a front mounted T/B.

I took a 90* 3" aluminum pipe and taped it down to the EPM so there is zero clearance between the two. I have about an inch at a minimum of hood clearance so if I come off the EPM 1/2" I can still the factory hood.
DSC02421.jpg

DSC02420.jpg

DSC02417.jpg

DSC02412.jpg

DSC02411.jpg

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Some more parts came in yesterday and brought new issues with them.

New water pump to weld the -an fittings to. The steel pipes would not come out so they got cut off.

DSC02450.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

DSC02454.jpg

DSC02455.jpg

I just need to get it tig'd up tomorrow and start building the heater hoses.

The intake elbow is on and looks sexy as hell unfortunatly it will not allow the hood to close but only by a hair.
DSC02439.jpg

DSC02438.jpg

DSC02440.jpg

DSC02442.jpg

I already cut the large tab off but need to host the pics. The hood closes but is touching still. I am going to have 1/2" machined off the intake manifold mount. The IAC will not have enough room to clear the EPM anyways. I can weld the holes up and go with a remote mounted IAC easy enough. :rofl:
DSC02445.jpg

Another bolt or two and the dash can come out for me to extract the heater core. It will have to have fittings welded to it also. Plus I need to run my new harness out the trans tunnel and mount the new gauges.

Here is where I am at. If I can get the manifold base machined down 1/4" it will clear just fine

DSC02470.jpg

...and the wife helping with the dash removal
DSC02464.jpg

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Dash out and heater core is removed. I dropped it off with a buddy to tig up some fittings.
DSC02481.jpg

DSC02480.jpg

DSC02482.jpg

I got a few of the gauges mounted up. I can not think of an easier way to do this stuf without having the dash out of the car. The AEM gauges require a lot of wirring and here are just two of them.
DSC02485.jpg

I put the water temp and oil pressure in the cluster pod. I have the air/fuel and boost gauge/controller up on the dash where the clock was and a fuel pressure going on the steering column. I just can't bring myself to run a piller pod since they do not make a full pillar for the convertibles.

What do you think?

Oh the other stuff will be finished on Wed. (intake milled to give more hood clearance, IAC closed off on the fox t/b, weld stantions for the LS1 coils, weld up the water pump fittings & heater core)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex_Meraz

Members online