OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up........turbo near future

Paul said:
AfghaniBob said:
Yes a high budget and am shooting to have it done by Jan '09, I would like to do King of the Street. It kind of got out of hand but there is no stopping now.

Cool. The KOTS competition has always intrigued me a bit since I like building real streetcars with A/C and all the creature comforts. I've thought of doing one someday based on a 445 or 460 ci World SBF with an 88mm turbo. I think it would be super neato.

I only met one "Bob" ever than spent much time in Afghanistan. Though I'll never be sure, I always assumed him to be an operator of sorts. I believe he hunted bomb makers. I also don't believe Bob was his real name. Nice guy though. Sorry to whore your thread.

Paul.

Sssssshhh, My name is not really "Bob" either. :coolsmiley:

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

RICK FOCKS said:
oh wow! this thing is going to be world class!

Thanks, wait till you see the plumbing, John Force himself will be jealous. All black lines, fittings, fuel rails, regulator, pump and filters all black.

I am tyring to stay with an all black and powdercoated silver finish (like the pics above). I am keeping all the factory accessories, brackets and upper intake but getting all the lines and hoses routed out of the engine bay. Should look clean and killer when done. Maybe one day I after it is running and all fitment issues resolved I will pull it all out again and do the sheet metal in the engine bay. :dancing6:

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Okay I am sitting back waiting for two things (well only two that you guys are concerned with)
A plane ride out of this Hell hole.
All my parts to roll in.

I just made the last of my phone calls and all 105 part numbers are on their way to me. I am praying that all my efforts and coordination will pay off come August 5th when I haul everything from the house to the garage and inventory this stuff. Then the fun begins.

A few things I learned.
Livermore Performance are stand up people.
ANplumbing.com saved me $300 over what Summit wanted ($1800 total) highly suggest them for your fitting and hose needs.
Nobody stocks the Fabricated Moroso Valve Covers for the 94-95, but Moroso had some on the shelf and will soon be in my hands.
Canton and Aeromotive customer service is great, they responded to emails with in minutes.

Well that is all for now. I hope to start digging into the car next week and putting up pics of the build and progress.

Later

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

Damn nice build!
excellent choices on parts, I see you've done a bit of research!..

Reminds me of my car undernieth.
have you driven int since the TA and that was put on.
I was amazed at the difference!

Good luck on your trip back and you are definately making the most of your time :thumb:

Branman

Reaction score

Looks good I am going to watch this build.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Dalamar said:
Damn nice build!
excellent choices on parts, I see you've done a bit of research!..

Reminds me of my car undernieth.
have you driven int since the TA and that was put on.
I was amazed at the difference!

Good luck on your trip back and you are definately making the most of your time :thumb:

The MM suspension stuff was all done with in the first few days of owning the car. Hell the parts made it to the house from the vendor before the transport dropped the Cobra off. I only drove it for a few days and then we did the suspension in one big step. I have driven tons of Fox's and SN95's, yes it made a huge difference that and the panhard bar are well worth it. I may have to step up to the HD TA, the horsepower and mods are getting a little out of hand for the standard duty peice. I didn't plan on a Dart 331 Turbo car when I bought everything. I had thought about it just didn't think we would be shooting for such a high amount of power.

To fully answer your question, I guess I have put around 500-600 miles on it since the suspension install. Even the G/F says it is a fun car to ride in (she won't be driving). With the top down and in the early evening cool temps outside it is a blast in the twisties around our house in the country. Nice roads with some nice corners and wide lanes. :dancing6:

On that note, I have done tons of research and I hope that it pays off and I only have to redo a few things (TA swap). So ever since the motor was on order I have planned for full tilt assualt and held of on purchases until I could afford the right part. Now I do have a PMS and I am thinking changing to an AEM and possible EDIS. We will see, I can always sell the PMS for what I have in it and it is not installed yet anyways.

Stay tuned for more updates. The parts are already stacking up in the garage just waiting on me.

2 days and a wake up.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

I have not even begun on the fuel system, I am having an adapter made for the distributor to mount a small diameter cap. UPR still has theirs several weeks out. Hell if mine works I may make a dozen and sell them in a kit. If that works out and I will know on Monday than I will start to run the lines and mount the components. If it won't work and I will have to figure out another way and I will start it up with the stock lines and rails. I might end up going distributorless and ls1 coils just to run the Aeromotive fuel rails. I had to use a 3/8 spacer for the intake and T/B to clear the Moroso fabricated valve covers and have the weld bungs for the evac system all welded up. Completely did away with the PCV and I am going to run an electric pump to come on at 3lbs of boost to scavenge the crankcase pressures and to try and improve on ring seal. Each valve cover has it's own breather tank at the moment and one plumbed to the evap pump. Still need to wire the pump up though. I ended up putting an 1 1/8 freeze plug in the rear of the intake and sealed it in with permatex to keep from leaking. I also plugged the Cobra lower plenum vacuum port and pushed a freeze plug into the EGR port at the bend on the upper also. I have the factory brackets on the front of the engine just waiting on my stuff from Wazee. I already hacked off the lower portion of the alt bracket and welded on the drain fitting to the oil pan. All prep work for the turbo in the next few months. The oil filter is relocated to the fender well and I ended up using the billet stuff from Canton. They are some real nice peices. The turbo feed line will come off an unused port on the filter mount and will keep the factory pressure sender in the stock location without a bunch of adapter fittings. I have all the fittings welded up to the radiator and water pump to use -16an lines and the thermostat housing is one of the CSR -16 outlets. I need to set the motor in still to allow me to make up the lines though. I had to have a tubular cross member made for the T56. The one that d&d sent is not designed to use with subframe connectors and sat way too low. So for extra exhaust clearence and to get the drive line right we are making a new one. From what I saw today it is going to turn out real nice, almost marketable. The guy I used has even made a neat little jig to build it off of. I should have enough room to tuck dual 3" and not have to worry about clearing the factory crossmember anymore. I am really itching to get in the shop tomorrow and set the new motor in. We spent the day going back and forth at the fabricators shop and trying to do what the G/F wanted and not working on the car. Went to the track tonight and watched a few of the guys from turboforums run. I wished it was day time already and I could start turning some wrenches.

Here are a few pics.

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00676.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Well it runs. I started it today and it idled on it's own with a little twist of the dist. I need to set the timing still. I ran out of time today and was only had enough time to let it run for a few minutes. No leaks, radiator and thermostat cycled, good oil pressure and sounds great. I have a short clip of the initial start up just need to load it up.

rgs

Reaction score

nice, can't wait to see it

Paul

Legend
Reaction score

Couple suggestions for extraordinary attention to detail:

1.) Trim the timing cover gasket so that none of the blue gasket stuff shows. See my build thread for what I did.
2.) Select one style fastener and stick with it in every single case possible. Totally stainless sells the ARP stuff for most of the motor, and the rest can be measured and ordered one-by-one from them. You won't be able to use ARP for a few of the bolts because they don't sell them that small. (e.g. the TPS bolts)
3.) The 180* fittings on your fuel rails will look sort of sloppy. If you're going to run dual feeds, I would suggest running a "Y" prior to feeding the rails. It will look cleaner that way. I can help you figure out your fuel system if you like - I built several.
4.) The red ignition coil will look out of place. Either paint it, or get a different coil. I used a giant black MSD HVC coil on my 422.
5.) Buy a billet timing pointer if you haven't already.
6.) You could blast and powdercoat your spindles.
7.) Clean and paint the gas tank cover.
8.) The alternator harness can easily be re-made with "good wire" and re-loomed. I did it and I think it looks nicer than the OEM one.
9.) Buy the sheetmetal coolant tank if you intend to use a stock-style one. Have it powdercoated black, or shiny, whatever is your preference.
9.) Get a billet vacuum manifold. Preferably black. If you can't find one anywhere, I've got one.

Your car rules. Keep up the good work. It is going to kick ass when it's done. :)

Paul.

Suspect

Reaction score

love the motor, really nice!! :thumb: +1 on some of the things paul pointed out. also check out bolt depot. i got most of mine there and didnt spend much.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

I just loaded a few photos up on photobucket, let's see if I was smart enough to make this work.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

Paul you are right there are few details that I could have polished up on, but I was way under the gun to get it started and back together before my flight on Sunday. Did I mention that the motor arrived 8 days into my 21 day R&R. :wall: I think for the time frame that I had and the amount of work that I got done I did very well. There were a few days that I could not work on the car so I could spend some qaulity time with the future wife and the days I did get to work on it I was by myself 90% of the time.

The coil does stand out now and will get sprayed flat black later. I finished trimming the chain cover gasket after it was in the car, can't see what I missed the first time anyways. I had to use the stock fuel rails due to time and the distributor factor. The future plans are to use the aftermarket ones with the 180* on the fronts, they are the returns to the regulator, the rails feed in the rear from a y-block. I built a new alternator harness out of two sets that I had and it turned out rather nice.

Let me throw up some pics.

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00753.jpg

DSC00758.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

I really like the overflow/fill tank for the radiator and the way I mounted it.
DSC00788.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

New T56 tubular cross member that I had made.
DSC00748.jpg

Lower Radiator hose
DSC00751.jpg

Last pic before she gets covered up for the next 4 months.
DSC00785.jpg

Things to do when I get home in December.
1. Install AEM ECM
2. Install AEM EPM (dist plug and cam sensor) and wire in LS2 coils for distributorless ignition
3. Install new fuel filters, pump, lines and regulator, etc.
4. Tune
5. Intsall my new rotors (by Dec. they will have been sitting in the box for a year)
6. Install my ARP wheel studs in the front hubs
7. Install the AEM wide band and gauge.
8. Put some miles on the car and change the oil and filter.
9. Get married (okay I know that is not car related but I am sure it will impact my working on the car for sure)

Now if I can only get to my base and get some work done, I need to make some money after this trip home. :banana:

jEEd

Reaction score

looks amazing. alot of hardwork done!

keep up the good work :thumb:

Suspect

Reaction score

more info on the coolant overflow tank plz. does it work with the stock sensor? looks good!! :thumb:

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score

It is a canton. It could be made to work with the factory sensor but I am not wanting it to. It takes a regular radiator cap and the neck has an overflow on it just like the radiator. I took a radiator cap and cut all the guts out of it so it is just a cap with no pressure seal to allow for expansion. I run a stainless braided teflon hose from the radiator neck to the bottom of the overflow/fill can. I filled it to just under half and it seems to be working fine. It can see coolant has expanded from the radiator and mixed into the can and after the motor cooled I pulled the radiator cap and the level was right on where it needs to be.

I mounted it with 3/4 inch wide flat aluminum straps that I got at home depot. I had to cut the headlight header panel for it to fit but it came out real nice. I still need to cut the hole in the shroud for the cap to sit thru for servicing.

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up........turbo on order

Got some good news.
Can you say :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: ?

Ordered the turbo kit today from BG Custom Turbo, thanks Brian can't wait to get it in the car.

I went with his 94-95 stage one kit, PT-76GTS, 44mm wastegate, and aluminum cold side.

I am hoping to have it in the car by April 10th, we will see. I am in no hurry any longer, the car just sits in storage anyways.

I still need to purchase the AEM EPM and some harness plugs but the LS2 coils are in the garage with the stack of other parts that need to be installed.
Need to get a few gauges and a MAP plus a boost controller and then the AEM distributorless ignition can get installed and so can the fuel system that I have been sitting on for 7 months now.

Getting closer and closer

OP
OP
A

AfghaniBob

Reaction score
Re: afghanibob's 1995 Cobra build up..(05/05/09)..little updates and some changes

Well my April R&R came and went. The only work the car saw from me was installing the Baer Two-Piece rotors. I only had a couple of days and did not want to tackle anything that would render the car down in the even I did not finish. I did sort thru all the parts and unpack the turbo kit from BG Custom Turbos. Was like a kid in a candy store in my garage.

A few changes that I may be making is going to a Edelbrock Super Victor EFI intake and elbow. I would like to redo the cold side and go for a drivers side T/B inlet pointing at roughly the number 5-6 cylinder. I am even contemplating going to an Accufab 4bl 4150 flanged T/B and C&S Carbs intake bonnet. Not decided yet. If I can do away with the bulky 94-95 Cobra manifold I will free up some weight and make the valve covers accessible to mount my LS2 coil pack.

Check out some pics for now.

fuel system all layed out...........a switch to the EFI/Carb manifold will mean loosing the nice black fuel rails and going to some Edelbrock ones
DSC01598.jpg

Turbo...had to keep with the DP can for size reference.....Precission 76mm
DSC01579.jpg

Aluminum cold side and cross over
DSC01589.jpg

How bout some headers
DSC01590.jpg

Intercooler.....ya it is big
DSC01591.jpg

Stack -O- Parts
DSC01585.jpg

Got some new rotors on................sat in the box for 15 months before getting installed (like every thing else now that I think about it)
DSC01645.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

The Accufab that I am considering
CarbEFInew.jpg

No pics of the AEM ECM, EPM, Brand new Escalade coil packs, AEM gauges (water temp, boost & controller, fuel pressure, air/fuel)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooters

Members online