What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Drove it to the shooting range (finally popped the cherry on my Glock 17), lunch, auto store, pub (1 and done), home… filthy dirty as it is! LOL

GTamas

Reaction score
Replaced the voltage regulator on the alternator. Now the charging voltage at idle is down from the previous 14,8 volts to 14,3.
I hope this might solve my audio amp turn on issue... I'll test it tomorrow.

On a sidenote: removal of the alternator was a pita. First of all the belt tensioner was super difficult to release because the coolant reservoir is very close to the tensioner and I couldn't fit any of my ratchets on the bolt. I had to do it with a 15mm box wrench, but it was not too long and was very difficult to turn and hold it.
Second, the long bolt on the bottom right of the alternator which goes through the bracket was also difficult to get out because the upper radiator hose was in the way.

How do you guys do this job? Do you have a special wrench / bar for the tensioner? Or do you remove the coolant reservoir?

It's a '94 5.0. I think this is way easier on the 4.6 because of the different location of the pulleys.

joemomma

Reaction score
Replaced the voltage regulator on the alternator. Now the charging voltage at idle is down from the previous 14,8 volts to 14,3.
I hope this might solve my audio amp turn on issue... I'll test it tomorrow.

On a sidenote: removal of the alternator was a pita. First of all the belt tensioner was super difficult to release because the coolant reservoir is very close to the tensioner and I couldn't fit any of my ratchets on the bolt. I had to do it with a 15mm box wrench, but it was not too long and was very difficult to turn and hold it.
Second, the long bolt on the bottom right of the alternator which goes through the bracket was also difficult to get out because the upper radiator hose was in the way.

How do you guys do this job? Do you have a special wrench / bar for the tensioner? Or do you remove the coolant reservoir?

It's a '94 5.0. I think this is way easier on the 4.6 because of the different location of the pulleys.
It is truly a PITA job, as I just did it right before I sold the car. I had to use a 15mm box end wrench on the tensioner too - but I "cheated" and used another wrench hooked on the open end to get additional leverage.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing a fuel pressure gauge (Glow Shift) inside the cockpit. Put a single gauge pod on the A-pillar. Made sure I had room to clean the dash and windshield as well as placement to keep it out of my line-of-sight (so to speak). Put a AN gauge adaper in-line off the regulator and put the transducer there and routed through my old throttle plate with a grommet. Put a connector on the "voltage" end to make it easy to connect to the chassis behind the dash. All were stripped, soldered and wrapped. What a PITA to work in a small area with little lighting! Finally tie-wrapped a LED worklight to the back side of the steering wheel!!!! Ta Da!!

Wiring was the hardest followed by placement and connecting the gauge. Having never put a pillar pod in, I found it's a "tight fit" in the hole and the wiring has to be connected to the gauge first. Wasn't going to put a hole in the "A" trim piece, but did for cleanliness, plus it isn't coming off. Tested the gauge pressure against my live gauge and it is accurate. Nice thing about the gauge is you can select multiple colors, or even let it go through the scheme, but that would be annoying. Thought it would be too distracting while driving but the lit gauge (all the time) is not bad. Also, when turning lights on, it dims itself. Very cool. Did a test run and now I'll be able to monitor fuel pressure when/if I have that damn stumble and loss of power. Just one more thing to use as a tool.

glowshift_dash.JPG

glowshift_engine.JPG

glowshift_gauge.JPG

weendoggy

Reaction score
View attachment 37167

Charging batteries again
3 months no start
Have you thought of using the small Battery Tenders? I use one on my Cobra and have it hard-wired to allow me to just plug it in. Small size Tender Jr. the size of a small transformer. Use one on my portable generator too, although now I don't need it due to my Generac installed one.

weendoggy

Reaction score
my Generac has a self charging system on it
I meant I don't need my charger for my "old" portable 12kw generator. I just installed a Generac and it does do it's test cycle every couple of weeks. With that tied into my solar I don't have to get the portable hooked up. I can sit on my ass and know it's there. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FXTTURR

Members online