What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The wife's Lexus was black. While it looked great clean, it was a real chore to keep it that way. I had to be very particular when detailing it, especially since we have really hard water here. I'd have to blow it off and immediately pull it inside to finish drying. Then, hit it with quick detailer to make sure I got any remaining water/spots off. And it you weren't meticulous with your quick detailer, it would streak like no other.

My white F-150 by comparison is a breeze.
Exact same predicament here: VERY hard water, dries stupid fast; panel wash/dry with my black car and wifeys dark grey Grand Cherokee; top down was pattern; wipe down overspray onto previous panels; continue till complete. Farg’n PITA to make it come out looking right to my spec’s. I hit them both with the “wax as you dry” which helps a ton.
The silver truck on the other hand…”easy as your white truck” Easy like Sunday morning!!

weendoggy

Reaction score
Well, that sucked. However, I'd say worth it.

But it's amazing what a little sandpaper and a fuck ton of patience will do to some stainless exhaust piping...
Ever try Compound 302? It works really well and then when you polish after its a piece of cake to do.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
After the data log session from earlier, I swapped the suspect, Holley o2 sensor for a new Bosch LSU 4.9 and adapter harness to make it work.

IMG_9658.jpeg

Took it out for an “after” log. Seemed to react quicker and drive better. Could be placebo, idk. I will let the tuner decide.

badass98svt

Reaction score
That's max approved width for a 255/40/17, but it's definitely a stretched 25" tire.
I have always put 265s on 9" wheels and it's a perfect fit. A 255 on a 10" wheel is stretched too much imo. What's the point of a 10" wheel if you're only running a 255?

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have always put 265s on 9" wheels and it's a perfect fit. A 255 on a 10" wheel is stretched too much imo. What's the point of a 10" wheel if you're only running a 255?
The stretched look is a thing in some circles. Just not yours and mine.

I typically go with tires that are 110-115% wheel width.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Ever try Compound 302? It works really well and then when you polish after its a piece of cake to do.
Honestly there's so many options out there in the wild it'll make your head spin. I have several old cans of various brands in the garage I'm gonna try tomorrow. See, the pipe that looks polished isn't even polished yet. What you're seeing is only the result of sandpaper. Took it from 40 grit all the way to 3000 grit with a whole bunch of steps in between. It was something like: 40 - 80 - 160 - 320 - 400 - 800 - 1000 - 1500 - 2000 - 2500 - 3000.

It started mirroring at 2000. It was hella nice. I'll post pics after I experiment with different pads and compounds tomorrow, although I'm not sure the cell phone cam will be any good at picking up any differences.

wmfateam

Reaction score
255 on a 10" wide wheel?
It's testing to try and fit into a 267mm template for a specific racing class. The 255 on a 10 provides less flex/deflection compared to a 255 on a 9. Tire rack has a pretty nice video on direct back to back comparison testing of different width tires on a single size wheel.

weendoggy

Reaction score
Honestly there's so many options out there in the wild it'll make your head spin. I have several old cans of various brands in the garage I'm gonna try tomorrow. See, the pipe that looks polished isn't even polished yet. What you're seeing is only the result of sandpaper. Took it from 40 grit all the way to 3000 grit with a whole bunch of steps in between. It was something like: 40 - 80 - 160 - 320 - 400 - 800 - 1000 - 1500 - 2000 - 2500 - 3000.

It started mirroring at 2000. It was hella nice. I'll post pics after I experiment with different pads and compounds tomorrow, although I'm not sure the cell phone cam will be any good at picking up any differences.
Yep, I know all about the sandpaper. I did that ONCE on my Cobra with 4-into-4 headers. They looked good for about 2mos. driving then started the patina again. So, under the hood looks like they've been there awhile, while the sidepipes stay nice and shiny! :D I just use my Compound 302 to clean them and then either use polish by hand or my small DA depending on how bad they are.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
It's prolly because the header material is 400 series stainless (stronger and more durable) whereas 300 series stainless (austentic stainless) won't ever tarnish due to the alloy composition. I think (think) these Bassani catback pipes are in the 300 series because the same ones that have been on the car for 7+ years (which I also sandpapered to a mirror) are still mirrory just with road grime kinda of stuck to them. A good way to test if they're austentic is just taking a strong magnet to them. 400 series will pull a bit whereas 300 won't at all.

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
Took it for the yearly safety inspection. Failed on 2 counts - parking brake inefficient and lower ball joint rubber deteriorated.

New ball joint ordered from Rock Auto arriving Friday then can get it sorted.

Can't drive her legally until fixed.

So annoying it failed for a $7.10 part...

TMW

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Took it for the yearly safety inspection. Failed on 2 counts - parking brake inefficient and lower ball joint rubber deteriorated.

New ball joint ordered from Rock Auto arriving Friday then can get it sorted.

Can't drive her legally until fixed.

So annoying it failed for a $7.10 part...

TMW
You guys have annual safety inspections ? This California ? Or where

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You guys have annual safety inspections ? This California ? Or where
I believe he's in the UK, but not out of the norm. I'm originally from California and now in Fairfax County, VA we have annual safety for everything and semi annual emissions for any vehicle 25 years and younger. It's way better than California but still a pain if you're in the 25 year window.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I believe he's in the UK, but not out of the norm. I'm originally from California and now in Fairfax County, VA we have annual safety for everything and semi annual emissions for any vehicle 25 years and younger. It's way better than California but still a pain if you're in the 25 year window.
Only thing that’s gets annual inspections are my work vehicles that are for my business . Zero emissions testing here . It’s nice . We used to have annual emissions testing here but it got phased out in 2009 .