In for a penny, in for a pound - '98 Cobra Build Thread

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Damn that car looks good.

Glad to hear progress is going smoothly!

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Awesome build dude! And yea thats part of the game. What are you expecting power wise?

Thanks I appreciate it!. Honestly I'm not sure how it will go or what numbers to expect, so many things that could hold the car back or just go unexpected but from looking at similar builds I would think the car should be able to put down 720-800 depending on how aggressive the tune is and if the fuel system is up to the task. I would be really happy to see anything over 750.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it!. Honestly I'm not sure how it will go or what numbers to expect, so many things that could hold the car back or just go unexpected but from looking at similar builds I would think the car should be able to put down 720-800 depending on how aggressive the tune is and if the fuel system is up to the task. I would be really happy to see anything over 750.

Thats awesome. You do good work! Quick question, i know the 03/04 cobras have c heads but has anyone ever tried to put an eaton/whipple/kenne bell on a 96-98? Just curious, i might pick one up here soon.

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Thats awesome. You do good work! Quick question, i know the 03/04 cobras have c heads but has anyone ever tried to put an eaton/whipple/kenne bell on a 96-98? Just curious, i might pick one up here soon.

Thanks. Unfortunately B and C heads have very different intake ports, C heads have one port for both valves B's have two ports one for the primary valve one for the secondary, which makes the blowers designed for C heads non-compatible with B's. Kenne bell makes a blower for B heads but it is non-intercooled so you are limited on boost before IAT's become an issue. Best bet is centrifugal blower for B heads or swap to C heads if you are set on a roots/twin screw blower. There have been some guys machine adapters to use 03-04 cobra blowers but every design I have seen have been non-intercooled and one off so the cost would be up there.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
Thanks. Unfortunately B and C heads have very different intake ports, C heads have one port for both valves B's have two ports one for the primary valve one for the secondary, which makes the blowers designed for C heads non-compatible with B's. Kenne bell makes a blower for B heads but it is non-intercooled so you are limited on boost before IAT's become an issue. Best bet is centrifugal blower for B heads or swap to C heads if you are set on a roots/twin screw blower. There have been some guys machine adapters to use 03-04 cobra blowers but every design I have seen have been non-intercooled and one off so the cost would be up there.

Cool thanks for the info. I can do machining but a head swap is probably easier. Thanks bro!

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Cool thanks for the info. I can do machining but a head swap is probably easier. Thanks bro!

No worries. C heads give way more options plus for the most part with exception of full valve lift with boost they are better then B's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking your thread.....on to the turbo!

No worries man I don't mind answering anything I can, I have been building this car so long I am sure I have researched just about anything anyone could want to know about the 96-98 cars lol.... so ask away!

RedTwilight

Reaction score
Great to hear things are finally about sorted out. Looks great wingless! And those wheels...:hump:

No worries man I don't mind answering anything I can, I have been building this car so long I am sure I have researched just about anything anyone could want to know about the 96-98 cars lol.... so ask away!

Which would be better for my Cobra? A Gallo 12 or a Gallo 24?

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
Great to hear things are finally about sorted out. Looks great wingless! And those wheels...:hump:

Which would be better for my Cobra? A Gallo 12 or a Gallo 24?

Thanks man, the wheels were tough to find but I am glad I held out for them!!. As for your cobra, I didn't know pizza places made motors. lol

McCloud

Reaction score
I've got a similar sized turbo on my build. I was wondering if you got into boost during your break-in miles and what rpms you were seeing boost at? I've got the 7668BB Turbonetics unit on my 323 ci 2V so I'm hoping with the smaller turbine I'll have some decent response.

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score
I've got a similar sized turbo on my build. I was wondering if you got into boost during your break-in miles and what rpms you were seeing boost at? I've got the 7668BB Turbonetics unit on my 323 ci 2V so I'm hoping with the smaller turbine I'll have some decent response.

Sorry I've not run the car in boost yet. Was told by the tuner to keep the car under 3,500 rpm and no boost. I am guessing I will start seeing boost at full load around 3k and be spooled to full boost around 4 to 4.5. But this is all guesses based off other builds. Hopefully I can answer your question in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
Lanter

Lanter

Reaction score

numbers are in! Car made 700/680 on 18-19 lbs. We tried upping boost a bit from there but the ignition system couldn't handle it so until I get better/new coils or a boost-a-spark I'm not pushing it harder. Couldn't be happier with Lees tune, car drives like stock and pulls like madd. I haven't felt full throttle yet or up to 6000 rpm but gettin on it 3/4 throttle felt crazy lol.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score

numbers are in! Car made 700/680 on 18-19 lbs. We tried upping boost a bit from there but the ignition system couldn't handle it so until I get better/new coils or a boost-a-spark I'm not pushing it harder. Couldn't be happier with Lees tune, car drives like stock and pulls like madd. I haven't felt full throttle yet or up to 6000 rpm but gettin on it 3/4 throttle felt crazy lol.

Holy shit bro. Nice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooters

Members online