What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think I can de-speculate that one because the pump was able to fully prime the whole system when the fluid was cold (initial install & fill up). And so warm fluid would be even easier to circulate if anything.

But as of right now (before I even put her up on a rack and inspect) my current speculation is that the fluid level was not high enough to be level with the pinion bearing, and I think this is due to being mislead about the proper level. The Fore billet cover I'm using, along with the necessary upward pinion angle, I think is what may be the culprit. But we'll find out soon enough.

The car is not at the ideal work space right now so I may need to put it up on another flat bed to get it at the best spot (where it's been for the last three years prior to these maiden voyages). But you know.... another day, another mountain. I'm no stranger to surprises at this point, after all this time spent transforming this thing. Thanks, everyone, for the luck and maybe I'll need some of it. But in the end if the diff housing itself it fooked then I'll use that luck to source another core and get it rebuilt.
Seems odd to me that you’ve “been driving it consistently for a week” and only now it fails? Sounds like a leaky seal that caused the oil levels to drop causing the ensuing catastrophic damage. Possibly seal was out-of-round and/or not entirely seated correctly.
Whatever the case, very sorry for you. $uck$ ! Curious to know the culprit. Please post and good luck with the rebuild, Jeff.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Thanks. Yea, it's a curveball but at this point I just shrug it off and fight back harder. Running away is never an option for me with this car. I'ma win. And I'ma win big.

I'm interested to find out as well because the guts of the diff were built perfectly by none other than Powered by Ford in Orlando. When I say perfect I really do mean it. The internals have not changed since 2015 and this diff never once signaled any signs of going south like it just did. Maybe it was just its time, or maybe it was something I did, don't rightly know but I will soon enough. Best case it's just a stuck pinion bearing. Worse, it's missing teeth. Worst, it's a cracked housing from bad enough carnage. So I know the spectrum of awesomeness that I could potentially expect. In any case, I will rise to the occasion and get her back on the road within a few months or even a few weeks if I'm lucky.

Nitrobob41

Reaction score
Spent the morning at the local junkyards looking for a rear driver side window for my car. First night in California for Power Tour my alarm woke me at 4:30. I was out the door and caught the guy still trying to get into my car . Called the local PD and they never responded. I ended my trip early after Vegas, refusing to go back to LA for the final day

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Spent the morning at the local junkyards looking for a rear driver side window for my car. First night in California for Power Tour my alarm woke me at 4:30. I was out the door and caught the guy still trying to get into my car . Called the local PD and they never responded. I ended my trip early after Vegas, refusing to go back to LA for the final day

Damn that’s rough especially on a drag and drive that’s supposed to be the most fun ever in a car. I’m registered for one in June this year again looking forward to it .

Nitrobob41

Reaction score
I was out the door in 30 seconds. He had a tire iron in his hand.I don't think he expected me to have a gun in mine. ( He literally pissed himself) I've been a AZ border agent for 15 yrs. Not the first time I've pulled my weapon but is is the first time I need it to protect my property

Shocker6

Reaction score
I was out the door in 30 seconds. He had a tire iron in his hand.I don't think he expected me to have a gun in mine. ( He literally pissed himself) I've been a AZ border agent for 15 yrs. Not the first time I've pulled my weapon but is is the first time I need it to protect my property
that sucks man!
i would have shot him in the ass thinking that tire iron was a firearm being pointed at me

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Put the thing on a rack today, just for 30 mins to look around. Fluid definitely seeps out the front pinion seal. Doesn't seem like there's a leak in any other place, but I'll know for sure once the car is in the ideal workspace again. I can't call a culprit yet, as the front seal leak could be a result of a problem and not the problem itself. But man does that gear set grind when I creep the car. It's gonna be epic when I drop the diff and pull that cover off, holy fuck. I already know it.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Put the thing on a rack today, just for 30 mins to look around. Fluid definitely seeps out the front pinion seal. Doesn't seem like there's a leak in any other place, but I'll know for sure once the car is in the ideal workspace again. I can't call a culprit yet, as the front seal leak could be a result of a problem and not the problem itself. But man does that gear set grind when I creep the car. It's gonna be epic when I drop the diff and pull that cover off, holy fuck. I already know it.
Pics please!

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What diff are you using? Factory style trac lok?

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Pics please!
Yea, I hope to get the thing disassembled some day soon. First thing I gotta do is get it towed again to a better workspace.
What diff are you using? Factory style trac lok?
It's just a 99-04 stock production aluminum housing, 31-spline Torsen T2R, Ford Racing 4.10 rem polished gear set with standard pinion flange. The thing worked flawlessly from Spring 2016 until now. Strange days.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea, I hope to get the thing disassembled some day soon. First thing I gotta do is get it towed again to a better workspace.

It's just a 99-04 stock production aluminum housing, 31-spline Torsen T2R, Ford Racing 4.10 rem polished gear set with standard pinion flange. The thing worked flawlessly from Spring 2016 until now. Strange days.
Hoping the aluminum housing didn’t crack

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Anyone have any good sources for hunting down IRS center sections (diff housings)? Coming up short so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SHDOPNY

Members online