What Did You Do To Your Car Today?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just got swiped in the Corvette by an unlicensed and uninsured driver...

View attachment 30764

Typical Virginia shit.
That just absolutely SUCKS. Wifey had similar happen handful of years ago. Pretty typical and common here in Cali. So many illegal and undocumented taking advantage, thinking they can get away with it AND so what if this shit happens? What is a law abiding citizen going to do about it? No identification. No phone number. No address. No wonder so many Insurance Companies no longer insure in CA. FRICKIN’ blows.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
01+ console swap nearly completed on my '00. Relocated the fog and defrost switch to the 01+ location and fully functional. New floormats and new NOS carpet in. New Ford racing pedals installed. Fresh SEM paint on all the plastics. Just waiting on a few new parking brake boot and need to pick a nice DD radio to install. This was a fun project

View attachment 30706
Great work! How was the carpet swap? Basically just remove seats and center console??

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 30763

I need to quit fuckin around and get to work on this ole girl.
Yeah, quit ducking around, would ya?! Whatever she is (exactly), it’s a damn shame settin’ up there on a rack or parked in your garage/driveway. Car like that needs to runnnnnn

Last edited:

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
01+ console swap nearly completed on my '00. Relocated the fog and defrost switch to the 01+ location and fully functional. New floormats and new NOS carpet in. New Ford racing pedals installed. Fresh SEM paint on all the plastics. Just waiting on a few new parking brake boot and need to pick a nice DD radio to install. This was a fun project

View attachment 30706
FWIW, I went to a DD, which looks great BUT… I actually dislike having to take my eyes off the road and look over to the buttons, which are a little bit small and practically flush to the face of the unit. Yes, it came with a remote, but what’s the point in using that when you then have to take your eyes off the road to see/use that? I guess you could learn to go by feel with the remote, but if I had it to do over, I would get a DD with knobs so I could reach over by muscle memory and tinker with it that way. But I don’t know if knobs are available on DD’s. I’ve only known the one I have now and haven’t researched it.

Again, just my (unsolicited) $.02 !!

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That just absolutely SUCKS. Wifey had similar happen handful of years ago. Pretty typical and common here in Cali. So many illegal and undocumented taking advantage, thinking they can get away with it AND so what if this shit happens? What is a law abiding citizen going to do about it? No identification. No phone number. No address. No wonder so many Insurance Companies no longer insure in CA. FRICKIN’ blows.
Oh I know. I lived in the SF Bay Area for the first 33 years of my life. Well aware of how shitty that place is. Here the issue is they made any speeding ticket north of 20mph over the limit a felony. So drivers immediately lose their license and insurance if this happens. But this doesn't stop then from driving which is why Virginia is considered the most dangerous state to drive in the country. It's estimated that 33% of all drivers are unlicensed and uninsured here. The only good news is that because of this insurance companies have to waive your deductible and are not allowed to raise your rates if you get hit by and unlicensed and uninsured driver.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
FWIW, I went to a DD, which looks great BUT… I actually dislike having to take my eyes off the road and look over to the buttons, which are a little bit small and practically flush to the face of the unit. Yes, it came with a remote, but what’s the point in using that when you then have to take your eyes off the road to see/use that? I guess you could learn to go by feel with the remote, but if I had it to do over, I would get a DD with knobs so I could reach over by muscle memory and tinker with it that way. But I don’t know if knobs are available on DD’s. I’ve only known the one I have now and haven’t researched it.

Again, just my (unsolicited) $.02 !!

That’s actually what I’m looking for. Knobs seem to be hard to find.

Unfortunately it seems every DD I like in terms of features and stuff uses capacitive buttons.

duh09

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, quit ducking around, would ya?! Whatever she is (exactly), it’s a damn shame settin’ up there on a rack or parked in your garage/driveway. Car like that needs to runnnnnn

67 Fairlane. My dad started a restoration on it, but he was not a mechanic by no means so I’ve got to go back through everything. First thing I got to do is slap a new wiring harness in it. Then interiors going back in it. Got to put the doors back together. And then get exhaust put on it and it should be mostly running/driving at that point. But there’s a lot of stuff not right, fenders aren’t hung correctly, got to go through the front suspension… the list of work to do isn’t super long but every single task is tedious.

I may pull the Torino in first. It’s hard having a yard full of shitboxes.

NEW EDG

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like most of that will actually buff out at least.
Yeah I just got the chance to at least wipe it down to see what needs to be buffed out. Most of it will come out. There are a few deep scratches that I can probably get decently hidden without having to paint. The diffuser has some nicks and chunks so that might need to be replaced.

I asked my 3 year old if he wanted to help me buff it out and his answer was, "it's not fun for me because I'm not 38 years old yet". That one hurt my soul.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Cruise? Or did you open it up? (mph)
I goosed it a few times now that there's no more break-in oil inside, but it was mostly still babying it. I think I'll put another 500 miles on it before I take it to full-retard. Other little side issues to sort out first, though. I might have to measure pinion angle or re-balance the tires or both because past 85mph the car shakes. Also, the hard-mounted IRS subframe has really revealed the weakness of the roof-less SN95 chassis to me. It won't be long now before I approach some specialty shop about a 4pt or 6pt cage of some sort.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I goosed it a few times now that there's no more break-in oil inside, but it was mostly still babying it. I think I'll put another 500 miles on it before I take it to full-retard. Other little side issues to sort out first, though. I might have to measure pinion angle or re-balance the tires or both because past 85mph the car shakes. Also, the hard-mounted IRS subframe has really revealed the weakness of the roof-less SN95 chassis to me. It won't be long now before I approach some specialty shop about a 4pt or 6pt cage of some sort.
Vibrations and irs are the bane of my existence. I have yet to get a smooth ride from mine.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do you have full length subframe connectors yet ? Something like the Kenny brown matrix or stifflers fit system would be nice

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Yea, the car has a matrix web beneath. Can't remember who it was from, definitely not KB or Stifflers. I think it was an Ebay deal way back in 2005. But it's held up quite well. It's square steel throughout and pretty thick.

I've been running IRS in two different forms since 2016. The first one, largely a stocker with just a few upgrades, was quite smooth and nice. But that's when nothing was hard mounted like the current one is. The rear subframe mounts of this Kenny Brown IRS just bolt straight to the frame, and I think I made the mistake of punching out the front rubber pinch mounts and pressing in Delrin instead. I think I'll punch those out and go with a more forgiving poly. But yea, the diff is actually solidly mounted to the subframe, though quite awesomely you can't hear it at all and there's no back seat to be soaking up any sound. And I do attribute it to the CenPeCo gear oil (look up their vid on Youtube, it's pretty amazing lube).

I think this is a pinion angle fault and/or the tires (for the most part). Having everything hard mounted just exacerbates the sensations that if removed shouldn't be an issue. So I'll have to measure the angles and put the tires on a machine to see if they're still even balanced.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea, the car has a matrix web beneath. Can't remember who it was from, definitely not KB or Stifflers. I think it was an Ebay deal way back in 2005. But it's held up quite well. It's square steel throughout and pretty thick.

I've been running IRS in two different forms since 2016. The first one, largely a stocker with just a few upgrades, was quite smooth and nice. But that's when nothing was hard mounted like the current one is. The rear subframe mounts of this Kenny Brown IRS just bolt straight to the frame, and I think I made the mistake of punching out the front rubber pinch mounts and pressing in Delrin instead. I think I'll punch those out and go with a more forgiving poly. But yea, the diff is actually solidly mounted to the subframe, though quite awesomely you can't hear it at all and there's no back seat to be soaking up any sound. And I do attribute it to the CenPeCo gear oil (look up their vid on Youtube, it's pretty amazing lube).

I think this is a pinion angle fault and/or the tires (for the most part). Having everything hard mounted just exacerbates the sensations that if removed shouldn't be an issue. So I'll have to measure the angles and put the tires on a machine to see if they're still even balanced.

Yea nice roll bar tied in will really stiffen the chassis up and give you that rigidity you’re looking for and stable feeling .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooters

Members online